Chapter 32

After telling Carter's father that we were engaged, there were plenty of things that his father wanted us to do before we left to tell my parents. It was going to be really late by the time that we headed to my house, but I was pretty sure that my parents were still going to be awake when we got there. They would sometimes wait up for me especially if I didn't come home around my usual time. I didn't have a curfew since I wasn't under eighteen anymore, but my parents still liked making sure that I actually came home.

If I knew that I was going to be later than usual then I let my parents know so they could decide whether or not they wanted to stay up and wait for me. The first chance that I got to call them to tell them that Carter and I would be coming over as soon as we were finished talking with Carter's father, I did.

It wasn't until about an hour and a half later after we had told Carter's father that we were engaged that we actually did leave. Carter's car was waiting for us when we came out through the garage. I was actually a little surprised that we weren't being driven back to my house, but maybe since it was too late Carter hadn't wanted to trouble any of the drivers. After Carter and I had gotten into his car and buckled up our seatbelts, Carter started up the car and then headed down the driveway towards the gate.

There were no paparazzi standing outside the gate, which was surprising since I thought that they would still be there. They all knew that I had come to the palace and I figured they would have waited for me to come out, but maybe they had grown too tired. It was nice though and I hoped that there weren't going to be any paparazzi in front of my house when we got there.

"You know your mother is going to throw a fit if she hears about our engagement with the rest of the country," I said after we had passed through the gate. Looking over at Carter, I saw that he didn't look surprised that I was bringing his mother up.

"I know," he replied.

"You don't have to tell her yourself. You can always send her a card," I said.

"I guess I can do that," he said not sounding thrilled at the idea at all.

"It doesn't have to be a real fancy card either. It can just be a piece of paper that says Morgan and I are engaged now," I responded while smiling at him. He looked over at me and smiled, but only a little bit. I knew how much he thought that his mother didn't deserve to hear this news from us, but we were the better people. And it would give his mother one less thing to complain about.

Because both Carter and I knew that she was going to complain about our engagement. I wasn't her favorite person and that was something I knew was never going to change. Not telling her that we were engaged and letting her find out through the media would just give Carter's mother another reason to be against this. It certainly wasn't going to change Carter's mind, but I just wanted to make sure we weren't creating more problems.

I didn't want to go and tell her ourselves, which is why I suggested a card. But Carter could also call her on the phone and tell her that way. I just didn't suggest that because I didn't think Carter was going to want to do that.

"I guess I'll send her a note. That's probably more accurate to say than a card, but I'll probably write more than just Morgan and I are engaged. You're right though, she will throw a fit if she doesn't hear the news from me. She'll just have to deal with the fact that I didn't want to tell her the good news in person. Maybe she'll understand, maybe she won't," Carter said sighing.

"Do you think she would actually show up to the wedding if we invited her?" I asked him. Carter shrugged his shoulders but didn't say anything as he looked out at the dark road.

"Are we inviting her to our wedding?" I asked cautiously. I was pretty sure that the answer to my question was no, but I just wanted to be sure.

"No, we're not inviting her to our wedding. She'll find some way to ruin it," Carter replied.