Chapter 36

When the day of my coronation finally came, I was a nervous wreck. But one thing that I had been taught was to not let it show. It was a requirement of a royal to always be poised and composed. You weren't supposed to be a nervous wreck at all, but that was what I was inside and maybe a tiny bit on the outside. I kept it in check as much as I could though, knowing that all eyes were going to be on me for the entire day. Carter was never far from my side being a constant source of comfort like he had been throughout the whole process.

Whenever I wanted to practice everything that I would have to do and say during the coronation, he'd take me to the palace and go to the ballroom where the coronation was to take place and just practice. It didn't matter the time of day. Or night. Carter was there for me and I couldn't be more grateful for everything that he's done since I was told that I was having a coronation.

"I already can't wait to get out of this dress no matter how beautiful it is," I said to Mary, who was my stylist. She was in charge of dressing me for every important royal event. I couldn't wear something without her approval, but we didn't have a hard time agreeing on outfits. She seemed to get what I wanted to wear and how I wanted to look.

"As soon as you're done with the coronation, I promise we will get you out of this heavy dress. I guess it's a good thing the pictures are going to be right after we finish fixing you up," Mary said as she was fiddling around with my dress. I had wanted a simple dress for my coronation, nothing too over the top like I had noticed had been the trend with previous coronation dresses.

It was cream colored, large, and had several rows of silver beads along each trim of the dress. Lace lined the skirt of the dress. I had been pleased with the dress that had been made after describing something similar to Mary. There was no doubt that I could trust Mary to get it right when it came to the outfits that I wanted to wear while on official royal business. She seemed to get that I didn't want my outfits to look too proper. I wanted some youth to them since I was just a twenty-four year old woman.

Of course, I didn't wear things that showed off a lot of skin, but it was more than the usual skin that was shown. The outfits I wore were proper enough for a twenty-four year old woman who was queen, but not so much that I looked like I was dressing older than my age. It's why I wanted something simple for my dress.

I didn't want too many elaborate details on it because I thought it would look too old fashion. Plus. I wanted to have a dress that was different from all the past queens. Nothing that any past queen had worn was really my style and I wasn't going to wear something like them just to follow what everyone else wanted. I still wanted to be me despite all the expectations that came along with being Carter's wife.

No one knew what my dress looked like, except for those in the room with me now, so not too many people knew that I was going in a different direction than previous queens. I don't think it was going to be too big of a surprise that was my dress was different than all the ones that had been worn before me.

I wasn't like any of the previous queens that had come before me. There were many things that made me different but listing all the differences would take some time. And right now, I didn't have that kind of time. Before I knew it, the official coronation pictures had been taken and I was walking by Carter's side towards the ballroom where too many people were waiting to watch me be crowned queen.

Since I had opted out of being a queen who makes decisions for the country, my coronation was in the ballroom instead of the church, which is where Carter's coronation had been. I may be crowned queen, but I was only a queen who was just a public figure. My job was only to accompany my husband on royal events and kind of just be a figurehead for the royal family. Carter was the leader of the country, the one who decided what direction to take our country in. I was just there to support him.