Ch 11

[To Listen To: 'Don't Let Me Down (feat. Daya)', The Chainsmokers ]

//

And if what Camila wants is more space, then she can have it; even if it means her filling out the places I've dug out, just for her.

And by tomorrow, we'll kiss, and we'll make up, and I'll pretend that it's all okay.

And I'll hold tightly on to hope, instead of on to her; praying that we're stronger than this, trusting that to her, we're forever, and not for the meantime.

----

I'm rudely thrown into the present, when some random dude brushes roughly past my elbow, in a hurry.

Given my current mood, my first reaction is to say something bitchy, but when he turns to apologize, I recognize him right away.

"Oh shit, sorry Lauren."

I shrug it off, and reply, "Hey, Derek. Don't worry about it, I was kinda just standing here, I guess."

A relieved grin washes over his face, and I notice him looking around, probably wondering what I'm doing by myself.

I realize then, that I must've broken off from the other girls, in my haste to get to Camila.

I start to look around myself, but Derek's voice forces my focus back on the conversation at hand, and he says, "So I'm with Nikki and a bunch of my buds that I haven't seen in a while, if you wanna join...?"

His question hangs in the air, and I leave it there for a moment or two longer than necessary, before responding, "I, um, actually, have something to take care of, but I'll come swing by and say hi later?"

Derek nods slowly, pursing his lips. "Alright, well, we're just over on that side--" he gestures behind me, pointing to the far end of the club, past one of the bars by the dance floor.

"Just look for the obnoxiously rowdy table," he adds with a laugh.

"Okay, thanks," I politely respond, and he gives me a quick smile, before stepping around me, and blending into the crowd.

I turn back around, returning my gaze upstairs.

From where I'm standing, I can't see Camila anymore; she's either left, or maybe she's sitting down where I can't see.

I weigh my options, feeling the alcohol in my stomach, starting to make its presence known.

Maybe I shouldn't have downed those drinks so quickly...

I wipe the bit of sweat, beading by my temple, and I start to walk towards the stairs.

As I make my way, I think of how the little run-in with Derek was probably a good thing, because it's given me a chance to calm down a bit.

Jealousy isn't exactly a feeling I deal very well with, and rushing up there, guns blazing, probably wouldn't have gone over very well.

I'm not nineteen anymore; I can deal with this like the mature adult that I am, and not act like some jealous wreck.

With a heavy sigh, I venture forward, and upstairs, trying to pep-talk my way as I go.

I reach the top landing, and scan the crowd, and when my gaze finally falls on Camila, my mind blanks out, and erases the self-talk I just accomplished in the last five minutes.

I have to blink a few times, because I'm questioning exactly what I'm seeing.

What, the actual fuck.