Ch 21

Mild Warning: 🍁smoking

[To Listen To: 'Inside Out (feat. Charlee)' by The Chainsmokers]

//

And she says, "Thank you-- Lauren."

It takes me a few seconds to process her words.

Then I realize I have tears in my eyes, and so does she.

Camila takes a few steps closer, and for a splitsecond, I think she's about to--

Her arms suddenly surround me, then she whispers by my ear, "Thank you for telling me."

She releases me, before I even have a chance to respond.

I watch her go, and my eyes catch on the trail of tiny stars she leaves in her wake.

Because time's stopped, but it's already passed.

//

"I'm not okay with it, Laur. At least-- at least not yet."

I look back at Lucy, and I see the conflict, warring in her expression.

We're outside on the terrace of the afterparty's club, sharing a smoke.

I can tell she's a little stressed, so I try my best to give her some space to vent.

"I'm...I'm glad you told Camila, and... And that's great, honestly. It is... But-- I know it's so selfish, and maybe a little possessive, fuck-- But, you're mine, Lauren. I... I just don't wanna share you just yet, and--"

The way she struggles with her words, kinda breaks my heart, so I pull her in for a kiss, completely taking her by surprise.

When I let her go, she looks at me with confusion. "What're you--"

"Okay," I say simply, looking into her eyes.

"Okay, what?"

"I'll keep my distance from Camila," I answer clearly.

"Y-you will?"

Her disbelief only confirms my own belief, that in order for Lucy to trust me, I need to show her that she can.

"Luce-- I'm with you," I say, grabbing her hand, then adding, "But I'm not gonna be a dick about it and be rude to her, okay? Please don't ask me to do that."

Lucy nods slowly at my words, and she starts fiddling with my fingers.

I feel her anxiety lessen a bit, and she says, "Of course-- Um...I don't really know what to say now...I kinda feel dumb for being all insecure about this. It's just-- you and Camila. I mean, you're 'camren'--"

I tug her back into me, looping my arms around her waist, saying, "Well, there's a new ship in town, and it's called 'laucy', so..."

She gives me a small smile, and she whispers, "Hey, Laur?"

"Yeah?"

"...Is Laucy real?" she asks, with a smirk on her face.

I let out a quick laugh, answering, "Please don't make assumptions. Just because you see two girls hugging and kissing on a balcony-- it doesn't mean they're a couple."

Lucy bites the inside of her cheek, raising an eyebrow at me. Then she says, "Well, I, for one, didn't see any kissing..."

"Oh, really?" I answer, leaning in.

"Really," She murmurs, staring down at my lips, then she--

"Oh look, honey! Lesbians!"

Lucy and I both turn, and I cringe inwardly when I recognize Elliot, hanging off of Will's arm.