Ch 26

To Listen To: 'Impossible', Shontell/LYLAS

//

A wave of humid heat slaps my face, and my eyes settle on the slim silhouette of a naked body, under the running shower.

With her back to me, I can only see the shapely form of her ass; her long, dark hair is all swept to one side, and when she turns her face to look at me, I--

"Oh my god... Lauren Jauregui?"

"Oh my god, you're--" I breathe.

"Oh my god, Lauren! Stop staring at my naked fiancée!"

Oh my god.

Naked. Ass. Boobs--

Don't look down-- don't look down--

My brain goes on endless repeat, going back and forth between 'oh my god' and 'NOT Camila'.

I spin around immediately, crashing into Nikki on my way out; but I don't really give a shit, because I totally just barged in on a showering stranger, who just addressed me by my first and last name.

"What the fuck, Laur!" Nikki chases after me, all the way into the living room, where I just plop myself onto the couch in major embarrassment.

"Nikki, I promise-- I thought-- I mean, those passes, I--"

Nikki's looming figure stops right in front of me, and she takes a deep breath, before letting it all out. "I swear, Lauren, if I didn't already know how your stupid fist feels on my face, I would be giving you a fucking beat down right now for jumping to conclusions. What the fuck happened to calm, cool, zen Lauren over the last six months?"

She makes a sound of disgust, and adds, "Goddamn it, did you seriously think I would get involved after the shit storms you and Camila caused over the last couple of years? My name's not Lucy, for fuck's sak--" 

"Excuse me?"

Nikki bites her tongue, but she steers the topic back to my inappropriate behaviour. "Don't you even try to change the--"

"Wait, fiancée?" I suddenly interrupt, my mind catching up to the moments shortly after I barrelled in.

Nikki opens her mouth, but she closes it back down. "Okay, first off, fuck you. But now, I'm over it, since you brought that up. And yeah, that's what I was trying to tell you-- at least, before you asshole'd your way past me."

I take a hot second to absorb her words, nodding along guiltily.

But then she flashes her left ring finger at me, adding, "I'm engaged!"

"Wh-- what?" I manage to stutter out.

The events of the last five minutes have taken so many twists, I still haven't had a chance to catch up.

Nikki's about to answer, but then the same girl I just walked in on, rounds the blind corner and she's looking at me excitedly.

She's wearing tiny boxer shorts, and a cut-off tee, and her hair's gathered up into a wet, loose bun.

Sure, she has very similar features as Camila, and while I'm trying to erase the sight of her naked body out of my mind, my brain insists on reminding me what--