Ch 18.8 - Interlude - Ally's POV

//

Ally's POV

"Think she'll come?"

I look back at Dinah, and follow her gaze below, at the busy dance floor.

"Lauren wouldn't miss my birthday party," I answer matter-of-factly, even though I'm not all that confident about my statement. "I mean, she said she'd try to come, for sure."

Dinah just nods back at me absently, and we're both left inside our thoughts again.

It's been a while since we've made plans to hang out with her; four months since the tour ended, about six months since her and Camila broke up.

Lauren's band went off on another tour, not too long after our combined one. And with her being in Europe for most of the summer, we haven't really talked all that much, aside from the occasional text, or phone call.

And from our side, we've been busy too, promoting our latest album, and all that. Will's even started setting us up on side/solo projects, saying the label's decided to try something new with their girl groups.

"I see Mila's arrived with 'Miss July' tonight," Dinah comments dryly.

I look to where she's rolling her eyes at, and true enough, Camila's just walked in, with a new girl we haven't met, leaning adoringly onto her arm.

"I think you mean, 'Miss 2nd Half of July', Dinah." Normani adds in, leaning over the railing beside me. "Damn, Mila's got some sort of game going on these days, July 2.0 is stunning-- and...tall."

Dinah laughs at Normani's contribution to their running inside joke, so I gently slap her on the shoulder, giving her a pointed look.

I then turn to Normani and raise my eyebrow at her, saying, "You guys, stop. Be nice."

"Hundred bucks says perfect little 'Miss Late July' has green eyes," Dinah offers, looking over my head this time.

Before I can get the chance to scold them again, Normani claps her hand into Dinah's, over me, answering, "Deal!"

When she takes her hand back, she leans forward to look past me, at Dinah, gloating, "You forgot, Mister June had grey eyes, and Mila waits at least a few more cycles than that, before going back to her favourite green."

"Bitch! That's low! Are you keeping a journal of Mila's booty buddies, or some shit?" Dinah exclaims, trying to walk around me to get at Normani, who starts giggling demurely.

"You guys!" I finally raise my voice, causing them both to sulk, and settle back to their own spots on either side of me. "You shouldn't be betting on that...Everyone has their own way of dealing with breakups, and if Camila wants to play the field a bit, then she has every right to do that, and we should respect her decision to do so."

I try to ignore both sets of scoffs that come from my friends, and I return my attention to Camila and...um, Miss Late July.

As seemingly reckless as it is, Camila's actually been genuinely happy these days.

She's told us herself, that she's upfront with all of her 'new friends' about not wanting anything serious; and that she's just putting herself out there, to see what she's missed all these years.

It's not like she's spending all of her free time with these extracurricular activities. She's also been spending a lot of time with her family, and friends from back home too.

"Wait, why does she look so familiar..." Normani muses, squinting to try and see more clearly.

Dinah then leans over the railing further, and I have to put my hand on her arm, in fear that she's gonna just topple right over. "Dinah, don't lean--"