Fire and Ice

This scene takes place after Abbadon injures Alec and he's taken back to the institute in City of Bones

"Where is he?"

Jace turned at the sound of the voice. It was Magnus, storming down the hall of the institute, peering into all the open doors.

"Magnus. He's-" Magnus shoved past him and marched into the infirmary. "In here...."

Magnus' heart fell to the floor at the sight of Alec laying on the white hospital bed, shirt torn open and his chest covered in dried blood.

"What happened?" Magnus demanded.

Jace cleared his throat. "We were looking for the Cup. It led us to this witch's house and it turns out that she was possessed by a Greater Demon."

"You didn't answer my question, Shadowhunter. What happened?" Magnus pointed to Alec with a slim finger. "What happened to him?"

Jace's eyes slitted in anger. "The demon happened, that's what. It cut his chest with its claws. We couldn't draw an iratze on him because of the demon poison. Hence why you're here."

Magnus scoffed. "You realize my services don't come free."

"I'm aware. I heard that you charge a hefty price for your services. No wonder money is tight these days," Jace looked over at his parabatai. "You can cure him, right?"

Magnus was already rolling up his shirt sleeves as the Shadowhunter spoke. "I can. And because I'm feeling generous today, I'll do it free of charge."

"Did I just hear Magnus Bane say he's doing this for free?" A tall, dark haired young woman stepped into the infirmary. It was Alec's younger sister, Isabelle. She looked a lot like Alec except her eyes were a shade darker.

"So she does listen after all. Good to know." Magnus stood over Alec's bed and let his hands hover a foot over his body. "I need you to leave. I can't work when there are people watching me."

Jace scoffed. "What are you, 10?"

Magnus let his eyes change to a cat's. "I'm a ten, in case that's what you're asking. I was always a ten. Now leave. If you want your friend to be healed, you'll leave right now."

Isabelle gently placed a hand on Jace's arm. "Come on. Let him work. You'll let us know if he's okay, right?"

"Of course," Magnus bowed his head. "He'll be sound asleep in no time."

When the young Nephilim finally left the room, Magnus hovered over the edge of the bed and ran a hand down inches above Alec's chest. The boy was barely breathing, and if it wasn't for the fluttering of his eyelids, he would've appeared dead.

"Alexander. Can you hear me? It's Magnus."

Alec's eyes slowly opened. "Magnus? What are you-" He coughed, blood pouring from his mouth. "Oh god. It hurts. My chest hurts-"

"Shh. Don't talk. Please. Your breath is horrid," Magnus chuckled as Alec let out a painful laugh. "Now keep still. I'm here to help you."

"Help me? Why?" Alec rasped.

Because I like you Magnus thought. "Because it's the right thing to do. Plus your sister offered me a nice amount of money that I'm still considering taking or not."

Alec frowned. "You not going take the money, are you? You're doing this for free."

Magnus said nothing. "Hold on, Shadowhunter. This is going to-"

Alec arched up off the bed as red fire burst from Magnus' hands. He screamed in agony, long and loud, as the flames spouting from the warlock's hands burned his skin.