Chapter 15

The young girl passed me a plaid blanket and smiled. She had lovely brown hair with a sweet smile and a cute chubby face. I smiled back. "Thank you." She walked back over to her taller sister and stood beside her. They stared at us like wild animals but seemed curious enough and at the very least, seemed friendly. I wrapped the blanket around my cold body and shivered again.

As everyone spoke about the city and the story of the dragon's attack on dale, i sipped slowly on the hot tea i was given. It smelled nice but the flavour was fairly bland and the leaves it was brewed with were scarce. All the same, the warmth felt nice on my hands through the wooden cup. Not before long, Thorin and the others were asking about weapons. Bard then left the scene and quickly returned with a long package we assumed were filled with swords and axes. As he pulled back the wrappings, we were let down. Strange fishing gear was all that we found and the dwarves erupted in rage.

"We paid you for weapons. Iron-forged swords and axes!" Gloin protested as he tossed down the wooden item.

"It's a joke!" Bofur shouted as the others threw down the weapons.

"You won't find better outside the city armory. All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key." Bard protested.

"Well we can't work with this!" I motioned to the pile of wooden sticks and fishing gear with anger in my voice. Balin then insisted we leave with the weapons but i decided not to listen to him.

"There's spies watching this house and probably every dock and wharf in the town. You must wait till nightfall." Bard explained to us and turned to sit down in the corner. I let out a sigh and folded my arms across my chest. I pushed back a filthy strand of hair that fell loose from my braids and watched as everyone started to sit down as well. Kili looked down to examine his leg and winced. I winced too.

Fili walked over to Balin and started speaking in a low voice. Balin nodded and the two walked off together to another room behind a wooden door. My hair felt greasy and matted and I remembered the icy water. Grumbling to myself, i reached my hands up to take out my knotted braids as i walked out the front door.

I breathed in the crisp air and watched a fisherman bellow me in the water. What fish could be caught in these waters? Their luck must be horrid.

I took out the first bead and glanced down at it as i rolled it between my fingers. Delicate engravings lined each one as I plucked them away and placed then in my pocket. Walking down the stairs, I unraveled each one and shook out my hair. I looked like a lion in the reflection of the calm pond water. Getting on my hands and knees beside the water, i felt the splintering wood beneath my palms and closed my eyes. Then, i held my breath.

Quickly dunking my head bellow the water, i shrieked at the bitter coldness that filled my ears and nose. I didn't hesitate to pull myself away. As i shivered, i clawed my fingers roughly through the knots.

The door opened above me. I looked up through the boards and made out Balin's white beard and Fili's brown furs. Slowly, i sat down on the boards and listened to the conversation.

"And what do you think on the matter? I've told you everything I can." Fili said in a low voice as he leaned on the rail.

"Is there more to tell?" Balin said suspiciously. Fili shook his head and pursed his lips.

"No."

"Well then. That's quite the tale."

"The only problem is that it's not a tale. I came to you with this because i though you would have something to offer me, not because i wanted you to confirm everything i already knew. Please, what do you have to say?"

"You've made a mistake and that is clear. I don't understand why you said what you did though." Balin said. "Perhaps it was because you panicked? Perhaps it was because you have affection for the lass? Maybe it was a result of your own anger returning to you. I hope we never know."

"Im not sure what came over me..." Fili muttered.

"And perhaps that is true. However, what matters is that you make the right choice now. I suggest you apologize to her."

"Such a simple answer to a larger problem." Fili said lowly.

"Oh, now Laddie." Balin slapped Fili's back, "I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you thought her to be so unforgiving than you wouldn't have a chance. It's been clear to me from the start that the two of you took a certain liking to each other... I think it's time we also had a little talk."

The wooden boards squeaked and i listened intently. Have you ever felt that feeling in your gut that you shouldn't see something or witness something but want to anyways? I had the urge to cover my ears or run away but stayed as quiet as i could and tilted my ears up to capture every word.

"Your Uncle and mother knew that one day you would feel affection for a lass... Of course it's happened before and she is not the first however this girl is not the same as all the others." Balin explained quietly.

"In what way?" He said and leaned to look over at Balin.

"She is, if you haven't noticed, a Hobbit."

"And what does that mean? She's no Elf." He chuckled under his breath and i saw his moustache braids sway.

"And she's no wife either." Balin warned.

"I'm not looking quite that far into the future, my friend." Fili placed his hand on on Balin's shoulder and walked past him. Placing a hand on the door and opening it halfway, Balin spoke again.

"But don't forget to apologize, laddie. I can guarantee it will save you."

"I'll see what i can do." Fili replied and gave Balin a smile.  The two walked through the door together and disappeared. All i felt was guilt in that moment. How could i have been so selfish and blind? It was clear he regretted what he said but in these recent days, it hadn't been easy for him to express this to anyone.... I covered my eyes with my hands and breathed deeply.

Another emotion came crashing into me.

He cared? Well, i knew he cared before but until this moment i never let myself believe he cared for me in that way... I remembered some of the conversations we've had. I pictured myself holding his hands on the eagle and smiled. I saw his naked form in the river and sighed.

I bit my lip and looked above me almost ready to squeal but instead pulled my hands up to my hair and quickly started braiding it. I then placed each bead gently into it's place and got up from the splintery wood before walking up the stairs to the balcony. As i took a good look at the city, i pursed my lips and brushed down my clothes before turning and walking in through the door. I had a look at the dwarves and as my eyes landed on Fili, i wanted to walk up to him and wrap my arms around his neck but instead, i stared. I didn't deserve him but I wasn't going to give him up.

The whole mood between us was changed now. It wasn't quite what it was before but i knew that as soon as we spoke for even a second, i would be left wanting. The mood between us would be the racy and everything i ever wanted and needed in a relationship. It would be flirty. I would be sure of it.