v i n g t - h u i t

With the curtains drawn

And a little last night on these sheets

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: CALIFORNIA KING BED - RIHANNA

vivre et laisser mourir

The Crescent wolves who are staying at the compound are congregated in the courtyard when Elijah and Marie enter the room. "Brother! Niklaus!" Marie winced at the volume of Elijah's voice.

At the sound of Elijah's voice, Hayley walks into the room to see what is going on. "You do realize that literally everyone in here has supernatural hearing, right?"

"Where is my best friend?" Marie asked, narrowing her eyes and cringing at the smell of wet dog.

"I'll check his calendar... Wait, no. Not his wife, so." Hayley says sarcastically.

"Hayley, this city is under siege by an army of beasts following my deranged mother's every command. Now, considering it was your people who just declared war on my kind, now's not the best time for your particular brand of sass." Elijah snaps.

"Klaus left a while ago. If you want to find him, I can't help you. If only there was a magical device that people used to call people? I don't know, I'm out of ideas. Good luck." Hayley rolls her eyes, and turns to leave.

"Rude." Marie narrows her eyes and turns to leave as well before Hayley interrupted. 

"Oh! One more thing, Elijah-- those "beasts" that you're referring to? They may be under Esther's control, but, like you said, they're my people. So, if you hurt them, your bitch mother will be the least of your problems." Hayley sneers.

"Well, baby wolf, I'm the crazy bitch around here, whatever midlife crises you have, you can take them elsewhere, because nobody talks to the two of us like this." Marie stares her down and leaves, an intimidated Hayley and a snickering Elijah.

"Hey, not that I'm not digging the whole slumber party vibe going on, but why did we have to meet so far out of the city." Marie asked, as she exited her Range Rover to meet with Davina who had asked Marie to come out to her family's cabin.

"Oh I needed your help with Mikael, you both seemed close so I thought with you being here, you could protect me, and well bond." Davina smiles cheerfully and pulls Marie into a hug while Marie simply looked horrified and shocked.

Mikael is outside, standing with his wooden staff with his eyes closed, as though he is meditating. He is clearly still healing from his battle against the werewolves. After a moment, Davina comes out to join him dragging Marie behind her. "You don't look so good. Those bites-- "

"Werewolf venom is to be purged by force, not acquiesced to." Mikael sneers, still oblivious to Marie's presence.

" And what is that? A Viking bumper sticker?" Marie asked, unimpressed, Mikael's eyes snapped open in shock as he drowned in Marie's presence.

"Marie." Mikael exclaims, shocked.

"Exactly how much longer are we going to be hiding here? Like cowards?" Mikael snapped, slipping back into his tough façade. Marie sighs.