epilogue

Dahlia had been defeated, peace of some form had been restored to the Mikaelson family, and yet Elijah knew something was missing, his bubbly blonde best friend, his lover had been suspiciously missing ever since Klaus came back. No doubt, an unspeakable rift and fury was still evident between the two brothers, but Klaus had been mellower, quieter ever since he came back. 

Finally Sophie who had enough, slammed the door of the study, making the two older men jump slightly in shock, "Where is my mother? Klaus, you've been uncharacteristically quiet, I know you know something so please just tell me where she is?"

Klaus mumbled something incoherent, "Speak louder, I can't hear you." Sophie rolled her eyes, leaning back onto the wall.

"Marie's dead. Dahlia killed her." Klaus muttered, his hollow eyes staring straight ahead onto a wall, Elijah frowned, hands flew to Sophie's mouth, a shrill scream could be heard but Elijah heard nothing.

A dull ache started in his chest before spreading throughout his body, he inhaled a sharp intake of breath, before letting out a ragged breath, Elijah knew if someone was lying, since he was young, it was as if it was instilled into him like a form of sixth sense, but he knew Klaus, as much as he wanted to deny it, Marie was dead. Marie was dead, Elijah scoffed and almost sighed in relief before guilt seeped into his veins, he knew that one of them would screw their relationship up, and if Marie died, it would save him the pain of her leaving him ultimately. But, somehow the pain was eating at him alive, like a parasite, and he welcomed it.

Sophie screams, but to Elijah, all the other voices are muffled, like a head submerged under water. The details of his surroundings blurred, the world smearing into a myriad of colours. All Elijah did was stand still, so perfectly still, as if somehow it can stop it from becoming true, pretend like all this was a nightmare.

When she first entered the main dining room, it was as if she floated into the room, her soft hands warm in his, and her beautiful cerulean blue eyes boring deep into his brown orbs. She stood before him, classy, elegant, putting Aphrodite to shame. Her eyes, so insistent, so stern, so beautiful.

But, Elijah saw her, sure at public appearances and charity functions and campaign trips around the French country. He saw her, but he never saw her.  He didn't see her the way she truly was until she walked into the room. Maybe, a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.

Sometime, he goes to see her body, lying perfectly still, beautiful, immaculate, frozen in time, in a polished casket. Elijah emotionlessly, squats next to the casket, softly brushing a piece of hair away from her face. She lies on a table, and for a moment it's as if she was just sleeping, and when he touches her, she will wake up and smile and press a kiss to his mouth. But when he touches her she is cold, her body stiff and unyielding.

 Elijah squeeze Marie's hand, praying that if he does it hard enough, life will be sent back into her body and she will flush with color and wake up. He doesn't know how long it takes for him to realize that isn't going to happen, that she is gone. But when he does he feels all the strength go out of him, and he falls to his knees beside the casket and he thinks he's crying, then, or at least he wants to, and everything inside him screams for just one more kiss, one more word, one more glance, one more.

Elijah sniffled, "Till death do us part." He bent down into the casket to kiss her cold, grey lips, before slamming the casket shut, and walking out of the dark, basement, never turning back.