t r e n t e - t r o i s

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: JUST LIKE FIRE BY P!NK

See I would rather we just go our different way than play the game

And no matter the weather, we can do it better

Rebekah is hanging a festive wreath on the front door of their safe house. When she returns inside, she finds Elijah leaning against the fireplace, thinking

"Well, isn't this place rather nice?" Marie smiles, appearing at the doorway.

Rebekah picks up a bottle of wine and examines it. "Nik must have compelled a wine-lover to keep it up, because I found a 2005 bordot! Fancy a sip?"

"I appreciate the sentiment, Rebekah, but I do recognize when I'm being handled with kid gloves." Elijah snaps, annoyed, without looking up.

Rebekah sighs and puts down the wine,"How are you feeling?" Marie asked.

"Patronized." Elijah smiles fakely.

They both look down at Hope, who is laying in her play pen, cooing "I'm here to protect you."

'I know you mean to, Elijah--" Marie starts.

"And yet, you find it necessary to render me unconscious before bringing me here?" Elijah retorts.

"Well, you weren't yourself! And I needed to get us out of that diner. What happened back there?

" I don't know. Niklaus sent me to protect Hope. My job is to keep her safe." Elijah says protectively, standing beside the play pen.

Elijah is sitting on the porch with Marie who was with Hope, who is sitting in a baby seat. In the yard, Rebekah is setting up firewood. " It's alright, Elijah. She won't break. Everything you did was in the name of protecting her. I'm not worried."

Elijah picks up Hope and holds her, " Hi, sweetheart." Marie smiles, and laughs. Elijah finally notices that Rebekah is setting up for a fire and looks at her in confusion" Is that what I think it is?"

Rebekah walks back toward Elijah and Hope and smiles happily, " It's bonfire season! And I am reviving a family tradition! Especially since we're all going to be together."

" Only because we're fleeing from one of our deranged parents. Another Mikaelson tradition. It's a peculiar thing-- never to be tired, yet forever exhausted by the sameness of things. Why is our family always at war?" Elijah sighs while Marie shrugs and crunches on her apple.

Rebekah smiles and touches Hope's hand, "I don't know. But, being away with her made me see things differently."

She lowers her voice as she gently talks to both Hope, Marie and Elijah, " We're not so bad. We're not the monsters that our parents think we are."

Suddenly, Klaus and Hayley's black SUV speeds down the driveway, and Klaus doesn't even get the chance to park before Hayley rushes out of the car and sprints toward Marie, Rebekah, Elijah and her daughter. She stops in her tracks as soon as she sees Hope, as though she can't believe her eyes. Rebekah, Marie and Elijah both smile at her as Klaus catches up with them, and Marie wastes no time handing a smiling Hope to Hayley, " Hi!"