q u a r a n t e - e t - u n

SONG FOR THIS CHAPTER: THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA - FRANK SINATRA

nuit a mille yeux

Marie, Sophie, Hayley, Rebekah, Klaus, Freya, and Elijah are convening in the dining room to discuss what occurred in the streets, Dahlia had possessed Jackson without any of them knowing, Marie was simply awestruck and intimidated, "Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls?"

"Okay! We get it. Now, let's just figure out what the hell we're gonna do." Hayley snaps back at Klaus, clearly embarrassed and annoyed.

" What I would like to do is take a strong leash--" Klaus's voice rose an octave, Marie rolls her eyes.

" --Children, please. Niklaus, your ire is justified. However, Hayley is quite right." Elijah counters, Marie scoffs, Elijah, ever the peacemaker. Hayley shrugs and gives Klaus a smug look. "We need to find a new strategy. Freya, if you please?"

"The spell you described... Dahlia calls it "kenning"-- using proxies to watch her enemies from afar." Freya explains. Klaus looks at her, half-suspicious, half-curious, and Freya pauses, looking overwhelmed. " But, I've never seen it done on quite this scale."

Hayley sighs in frustration, looking overwhelmed, "Awesome. So, basically every Hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy."

"Aw, is the dog afraid to use a bit of her brain?" Marie cooes snarkily, earning a snort from Sophie, Klaus was trying hard to smother his laughter, while Elijah looked at the three unimpressed.

"The good news is, I know a little about how her magic works." She gestures at a tray she has set up that has a silver tea kettle and five tea cups full of brown liquid on saucers. " This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us."

Rebekah and Freya each reach for a cup. When the others don't move, Rebekah looks around at them, "Well, come on! This should work like a charm!"

Elijah sits down at the table, and he and Hayley each grab a cup as well. However, Klaus remains standing where he is and doesn't move to join them, and Rebekah raises her glass. Sophie, hesitantly walks up to the coffee table and downs the tonic, scrunching her nose as she did. "Bottoms up!"

The four of them drink their tonics, and Elijah holds out the cups for Marie and Klaus who both simply stare at it, " Marie,Niklaus, is there something you two wish to contribute?"

" I prefer biscuits with my tea." Klaus mutters indignantly, Marie nods, looking at Elijah and pouting.

Elijah rolls his eyes as he sets down Klaus' cup and mutters under his breath, "Of course."

"Besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells." Klaus declares haughtily. Elijah rolls his eyes again and sips his tonic.

Marie sighs and stands up, "No, what we experienced was a test-- Dahlia's watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner, rather than later."

"Well, if she was watching us, she would know that we have our own army." Sophie piped up, confused.

"She also knows where we are. And, given the immense nature of her power, we simply do not know what to expect from her. What we need is to create a new stronghold. Something that Dahlia knows nothing about. A sanctuary from any witchcraft." Marie smirks.