Chapter 28: The First Date

-Monae POV-

So right now I'm sitting in JoJo's red Wrangler jeep.

"Where are we going" I asked looking at him.

"Lake Hopatcong state park" he replied pulling into one of the parking spots.

"Sounds fun" I replied taking my seatbelt off.

I put my bag down by my feet and opened the car door getting out. JoJo walked around his and put his arm around my shoulders then we started walking. We walked into the park and I was looking at the benches which have big trees over them for shade.

"You wanna chill under the tree for a bit" I asked him.

"That's cool" he said and we walked over to the bench where a big red oak tree was covering it.

We sat down and he took his arm off of me.

"So why did you ask me on a date" I asked looking at him.

"Because I wanna get to know you. Word 'round school is you like me" he said smirking.

"Many girls in that school and around the world like you. How would you know if I have a thing for you or not" I questioned.

"That's true but you're here aren't you" he asked and I nodded.

"Aight then" he said laughing a little.

I had to laugh at that too. "So how is the album coming along" I asked sitting back.

"Good actually! It should be coming out at the end of the year" JoJo said.

"Dang, the end of the year" I said disappointed.

"The end of the year isn't that far" he said sitting back too.

"Yeah it is, we only in March" I retorted.

He laughed and started shaking his head, I could feel the nervousness disappearing.

"How was school today" I asked looking at him.

"It was aight I guess. Classes, lunch and more classes" he chuckled. "How was your day?" He asked. 

"Same honestly. With one class I specifically hate! Oh and all the good jokes I heard today, they made my day." I replied.

"I want to hear one of those jokes" he smirked bending a bit to rest his forearms on his lap.

"What" I asked taken aback in surprise.

"I want to hear a joke that made your day." He retorted.

"Trust me Joel, I'm not funny" I said using his birth name.

"Just try" he said egging me on.

"If you don't laugh I'm going to be really disappointed." I told him and he laughed.

"Knock, knock" I said.

Jojo quirked an eyebrow at me, which I did the same in return.

He sighed "Who's there?" He asked.

"Isabel" I laughed a bit.

"Isabel who?" He quipped.

"Isabel not working!" I laughed heartily.

JoJo just smirked and shook his head at me.

"I told you I wasn't funny!!" I said smacking his arm lightly.

"There's this diner a few minutes away from here if you wanna check it out." He told me scratching the back of his neck nervously.

I smiled a bit "I wouldn't mind grabbing a bite" I told him standing up from the bench.

We walked back to his jeep and headed to the diner.

-20 Minutes Later-

We ate our meal and just enjoyed each other's company by telling terrible jokes.

"If I continue laughing I'm gonna burst" I said.

"I've been having a great time but I should get you home. " JoJo said smiling at me.

"Sure" I said as JoJo left some bills on the table and we both started walking towards his jeep.

"You know I haven't had this much fun in a while" I said.

"What about the party" he asked.

"I can't remember what the hell happened. One minute I was sober and the next I was gone" I said as we approached the car.

"I was about to tell you the same shit" he said and we both laughed getting in the car.

An hour later JoJo pulled up to my house and I can see a flash going off.

"That must get annoying" I said referring to the one papparzi guy.

"I try to ignore it" he said.

I leaned over kissing his cheek "Thanks for today" I said picking up my bag. "Maybe we should do it again." I suggested opening the car door.

"See you round kid" he said smiling at me.

I smiled at him before exiting the car and entering my house.

"Hey, Jarid, hey Nichole" I greeted my siblings sitting on the couch.

"Hey Monae" they said simultaneously.

I sat on the arm chair as they laughed to some joke Will said on Fresh Prince.

"How did football practice go yesterday" I asked Jarid.

"Good! I got my position" he said looking at me happy.

"And what position is that?" I asked waiting for him to continue.

"QB" he said.

"Quarter back, Nice" I said smiling and leaning over to high-five him.

"Thanks" he said trying to hide his smile.

"How did your audition go Nichole?" I asked her.

She shrugged "I think I did well but we don't find out until Monday." She said.

"Well I know you'll be the lead, you deserve it." I told her honestly while smiling.

"Thanks, Monae" she smiled back.

"How did your date go?" Jarid asked with a raised eyebrow.

"How do you know about that?" I asked matching his expression.

He lightly laughed "That doesn't answer my question Monae" he said.

I threw one of the couch cushions at him and he laughed again. "I'll take that as a mind my business" he said with that dumb look on his face.

I rolled my eyes "Goodnight, y'all! See y'all in the morning!" I said grabbing my backpack and running upstairs to my bedroom to avoid the interrogation.

I could hear them cackling as I closed my bedroom door and I laughed a bit too.