chapter 26: dead

I wanted to visit her in the hospital, but I was instructed not to go into her room, that she was not allowed to have visitors. I sat at a close distance to Joy's room and stayed hidden. Her family and her friends--Sowon, Jungkook, Jimin, and those two college guys--all went in, bringing her gifts and I could hear them screaming about how happy they were to see her again.

So I guess she was allowed visitors, but just not me.

Back at home, I left countless texts and voicemails on her phone. I just needed her to reply to at least one of them. I wanted to know if she was okay. If she got discharged from the hospital. If I would be able to see her and beg for her forgiveness.

The next day, I did the same thing. Leaving text after text and voicemail after voicemail. I was really looking like a stalker the way I was so persistent. I decided to make one more call and if she didn't answer, I would just have to wait until Monday.

It rang three times and after the fourth ring, it was supposed to go to voicemail--but it didn't. The ringing stopped and the other line was silent. I blinked and sat right up, almost yelling into the phone, "Joy! Are you there?"

It was very faint, but I could have sworn I heard a small breath being taken on the other line. I knew she answered the call and she was listening.

"Joy oh my god thank you so much for answering. I've been trying non-stop to get in contact with you. I understand why you never replied though and I just I want to see you so badly because I know I'm a jerk and an asshole and I don't deserve you at all but I'm so sorry for everything that I've done. At first, yes, I got close to you because I needed the money to pay off the debt but I really started falling for you and I couldn't do it anymore. I fell in love with you and I will never stop loving you, I'm so---"

And then the line went dead.