Hospitals, Fevers and Hugs

A/N: Sick fan art for 'Just A Minute' by the very talented 'zaynmalikhasmyheart' aka Chloé Peters. Thank you xoxo

*Maira's POV*

Zayn shoved the phone in his pocket and kept staring at the green grass with a hand on his forhead.

"What's up Zayn? What was Ellie saying?" I asked him, "Yeah man, w-what happened?" Shawn asked him too.

"Maira...Ashley." He looked pale, as white as a bone with mouth opened slightly.

"What about Ashley? Zayn? Tell me!" I shook him slightly, trying to break his shock.

"Maira...Ashley has been put on ventilator. Sh-she is very critical right now. The doctors asked...asked everyone to call us because maybe she won't..." A tear slipped from his eyes while my soul was ripped out of my body.

After that he was speaking some words but my brain was in no condition to analyze that. All I could see was him lip syncing.

Why? What was he saying? No. No.

"This cannot happen. No. Sh-she has to make it." He covered his face after it took me a while to revive.

"Oh my God no! This cannot happen." Shawn covered his mouth.

"Let's go." I pulled Zayn by his hand and made him sit in the car before driving to the hospital.

The drive was silent. Not a comfortable silence though. The silence was filled with tears, prayers, questions, fears and mostly pain. The memories of the moments we had with Ashley were flying all around.

No matter how much I tried to convince him that she would be fine...deep down both of us knew I might be proved wrong.

I pulled up in the parking lot and soon we were outside the ICU. Scared to death.

"What's up?" I asked the only person who wasn't crying, Louis.

"She is in a very very serious condition for now. This night is going to be extremely tough for her and all of us. Either it will welcome a sparkling new day," he sighed, "Or a long dreadful night." My heart broke at his words.

"But she had made so much progress this morning?" I asked again, "Exactly my thoughts. The doctors said her condition degraded badly all of a sudden." I nodded.

Zayn walked towards the bench and let out a deep, sad sigh, "God." He said and slumped on the bench.

His face was covered by his shaking hands. "No." He kept muttering every now and then. I let him have his alone time.

"How's she now?" Someone said and our heads shot up, "Very critical. I hope the parents are here?" I rose my hand and he gave a small smile.

"I cannot say anything for now. May the Gods be in her favour." He said and walked away.

*Zayn's POV*

I kept my tear filled eyes closed, shaking my head and covering my face with a hand.

Every now and then I kept glancing at Maira, she was standing next to me, covering half of her forhead and closed right eye with her hand.

Suddenly a sharp pain hit my head, my head was bursting, I felt cold and my head became very heavy.

Soon my eyes felt heavier than my head and closed even though I didn't want them to.

"Zayn! Zayn!" A female voice called me, "Yeah?" I mumbled in my sleep.

"Zayn wake up! It's Eleanor's call about Ashley!" The voice said, my eyes shot open instantly, "What?" I asked and stood up.

"Zayn have you woken up?" Eleanor asked in the phone, "Yeah I'm here Elean. Tell me what's up?" I asked her as Maira stood next to me.