c h a p t e r | e l e v e n

~Lauren's P.O.V~

When your mother has red hair, and your father has brown hair, you make strawberry blonde hair.

When your mother has green eyes, and your father has brown eyes, you make hazel eyes.

When your mother has tan skin, and your father has pale skin, you make peachy skin.

That's what mom used to say to me all the time, and I would always ask her why didn't Ron or Finn look like me. She used to smile at me with sadness in her eyes and say:

"Well who said that they have the same dad?"

At the time, I didn't fully comprehend what she said, but now that I am older I get it. My mother has had three kids with different men, or could I say 'The Three Drunk Mice'. Three men that used to live with us. The man with brown hair and a scar down his face was my dad, and I thought he was the dad to Ron, Finn, and me. He actually wasn't.

I see why he never payed attention to Ron and Finn.

The other two guys were Ron and Finn's father. He just didn't want to be around another guy's kid.

Ron and I used to call them the three drunk mice. They always drank together, and whenever they drank we would go sit in our room, or you could say the basement, and be silent. Mom never wanted us upstairs while they were drinking, so that is why we went to the basement.

My dad and I always went on adventures. We used to go run in the forest and hunt for berries and wild animals. We went fishing in ponds, and we also made little stick forts and he'd pretend to be a titan while I throw rocks at him from behind the sloppy stick mess. Our adventures made the nice side of my father come out. He would always show his good side while I was around, but when it was just us two, it was the more personal good side.

I remember that last day I saw my dad. It was actually the day after it snowed really hard. The house was really cold, and he went outside in the harsh cold to find firewood for us. He found a little bit after a whole day of searching, but boy was it warm before midnight.

After he made a fire in the small furnace, we huddled together and he started telling us stories. He told many stories before, but they were quite vulgar and inappropriate. He once told me and Ron how him and mom made me. It was very descriptive, and I would not like to describe it. Anyways, besides the crazy stories, we had a fun time together and we fell asleep in front of the furnace.

"Goodnight, Laurie. I'll see you in the morning." My dad said to me.

I remember yawning, then saying:

"I love you, dad."

He gave me a smile, then kissed my forehead.

"Love you more than anything in the world." he replied.

Afterwards I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I never saw him again. My mom said that he would never come back to see me, but I always had hope in my heart that he would. After that night, my mom didn't allow us to go down the basement anymore. She said there were some dead rats in the basement, and she didn't want us being exposed to them.