Chapter Forty-Six Cyrus' POV

Felix's Sister

Chapter Forty-Six
Cyrus' POV

I don't know what time it was when a nurse woke me up. "You can't be here," she told me.

I glanced at her, blinking as my eyes focused. "I'm not leaving," I said.

"You have to, miss," she said. "It's hospital rules."

I glanced at Kian, who was still asleep beside me. I laid my head back down on his chest. "I don't care."

"Miss-"

"I'm not leaving!" I snapped, glaring at her. "He doesn't have any family. I'm the only one that cares. Let me be with him!"

When she continued to protest, I waved my hand and wiped her memory of seeing me, then she turned and left. I settled back beside Kian, closing my eyes and taking a breath to calm myself.

A draft entered the room and a chill went up my back. "You're so pathetic, Cyrus," Pan said. "How can you possibly still care about him?"

"Get out."

"Answer my question first."

I sat up and looked at him. "No."

He glared back at me, stalking toward me. "I said," he started threateningly. "Answer my question."

I crossed my arms. "He's my best friend."

"Not good enough."

I scowled. "What do you want?"

"To know the truth," he hissed. "Kian isn't good enough for you so why do you still care about his life?!"

I didn't say anything. Not because I was frustrated with him, but because I didn't know. Why does Kian mean so much to me? He was wonderful and awful at the same time, like Jacob.

"Why won't you answer me?" Pan growled, clenching his fists.

"Why won't you leave?" I countered, returning his cold glare.

He crossed his arms and that was when I noticed the blue spindles creeping up his neck, peaking out of his shirt.

"You don't have much longer," I said. "Go do something productive in your last hours."

Something appeared in his hand and he gripped it tightly. "Trust me, love," he said, smirking. "I will."

The magic radiating from the object was powerful and I recognized it from thirty years earlier. "The Dark Curse?"

"That's right, Pet," he replied. "Soon, this town will be mine and your poison, will have failed."

"You said you were willing to die for Sawyer."

"Well, I must have lied."

Smoke engulfed him and he was gone. I looked at Kian. I didn't want to leave him, but I knew I had to warn the others about the curse. "Please don't die while I'm gone," I whispered before kissing Kian's forehead.

I glanced around before disappearing out of the ICU and into town, standing outside the Charmings' apartment building. I ran inside and up the stairs, knocking on their door urgently. Emma opened it a moment later.

"Pan has the Dark Curse," I said.

Her eyes widened and her parents walked over, having heard me. "What do you mean he has the Dark Curse?" David asked.

"I mean he has it, he knows how to cast it, and he's going to curse the town," I replied slowly.

"Are you sure it's the Dark Curse?" Mary-Margaret asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," I said impatiently.

"Cyrus, you're close to him, can't you take it from him?" Emma asked.

"I have other things to worry about right now," I said.

"How are we supposed to stop him?" she asked, looking at Mary-Margaret and David.

"You don't necessarily need to stop him," I said. "You just need to stall him for a few hours."

"Why's that?" David asked.

I hesitated. "Pan's dying of Dreamshade. He doesn't have very long."

"Cyrus," Mary-Margaret said slowly. "how did he-"

"Doesn't matter," I snapped. "Just get the curse from him."

"Do you know where he is?" David asked.

"No, I don't," I hissed. "You're the heroes here, go figure it out yourselves!"

I stormed away, heading back to the hospital. I snuck back to the ICU, but as I neared it, I saw doctors and nurses rushing in and out. I felt my heart jump into my throat and then crash in the pit of my stomach. Through the glass window, I could see them crowded around a bed– Kian's bed.

I just stood there, staring. I heard someone running behind me but didn't think to move until they bumped into my arm. "Sorry," a nurse mumbled before continuing to rush toward the others gathered around Kian.

"Wait," I called out and she turned back to me. "What's wrong with him? What's going on?"

She glanced at Kian, then back to me, biting her lip. "I don't know, dear," she said. "I'm sorry."

She quickly left, needed by the doctors. All I could do was watch, shaking with fear. One by one, they began to clear out of the room, solemn. I wasn't aware that I was sobbing until I noticed the apologetic glances from the medics as they passed me. Only one stopped to ask if I was all right. Of course I wasn't. Brokenly, I told them about me and Kian. I called him my boyfriend, even though, in some sort of way, we had broken up when we docked in Storybrooke. The nurse, after seeing the final doctor leave the room, unsuccessful in helping Kian, guided me into the ICU.

He wasn't breathing. His heart monitor had been turned off. I kept thinking–hoping, that he was all right. But I knew he wasn't.

It hurt.

So badly it hurt. Even after all he had done, I still cared about him. Just as, I suppose, I'd care if Jacob were in his place. That's what happens when you give someone a piece of your heart. Even if they tear it apart, you'll always care about them, because at one time, they cared at about you. Eternal gratitude for how special they once made you feel, I guess.

Hesitantly, I took Kian's hand. It was cold. I wiped my eyes dry with my free hand, sniffling. "I told you not to die while I was gone, you idiot," I whispered.

He would've laughed at that, and said something sarcastic in return. "Next time, I'll try to die at a more convenient hour, then," he'd say.

I smiled at this, laughing through my tears. Then the pain came flooding back as quickly as it had dispersed. I felt like my chest was caving in on itself, like my heart was exploding, like it was ripping in two. In all my years with magic, that was the one thing I never learned how to repair: A broken heart. Because with or without memories– with or without a heart, the pain will always be there. You just won't be able to explain it. That's why, I learned, it's always best to allow yourself time to grieve. If you don't, you'll wake up in the middle of the night, crying, and you won't have any idea why. You'll drive yourself mad trying to figure out why it hurts so much.

So for Kian, I grieved. Because it's better to have a broken heart, than a broken mind.

~~~~~~

I'm on summer vacation! That means more writing time! Yay! Ok, so I'm planning to have only one or two more chapters. Any guesses on the outcome?

When I finish the sequel(and this'll, clearly, be a while from now), I'm planning to rewrite this to fix all the plot holes that aren't covered in the second book.

I have a new book out: "Forgiveness" and it's a Christian story about finding faith if you'd like to check that out.

Ok, thank you all your views and votes and comments! I'm very grateful and they make me very happy! :)

Have a blessed day,
~Jordyn