Chapter 14: Repair

Back at the Autobot warehouse. The bots walked into the base feeling defeated. They were all beaten and dented, some worse than others. Optimus carefully set Bee on one of the berths, the little bot stared at the floor. Rachet carried Arcee over to another berth and laid her on it. Prowl held on to his side and with his free hand helped the doctor. Bumblebee was on his other side and helped the best he could as he limped. Bulkhead carefully held on to the humans as he came in.

"Rafael see if you and the Professor can mask our signals from the Decepticons." Rachet said as he worked on Arcee. Bulkhead set the man next to the little boy and they quickly got to work. Sari ran up to Optimus and clenched her fists.

"Who's first?" She asked as she gripped her key.

"Bee." The Prime said. The little bot shook his head furiously and pointed at Prowl.

The girl looked over at the said bot, he was holding his side and struggling to stay standing. Prowl fell to his knees and gasped in pain. She ran over to help him. Rachet watched in amazement as she put the key into his chest plate and turned it. The medics optics widened as he watched the bots dents fill out and cuts heal.

"By the All Spark....." The medic said in disbelief.

~

Optimus watched quietly as Sari healed his team. Bee sat on the berth and stared at the floor as Doc bot examined his injuries. The little bot had coughed up more energon and metal shards, which worried them. The doctor had told the girl to wait before using her key. He wanted to make sure everything was there first. Sari walked over to Rachet and Arcee, she wondered if the key would even work on them. She watched as the medic worked on the femmes crushed legs.

"Ahem." The two bots looked at her. "Want to try this?" She asked as she held up her key. The medic raised an optic ridge as the femme just stared at it.

"I'm not sure how that's going to help." Rachet mumbled.

"Oh come on. You saw how it worked on Prowl and the others." Sari said as she folded her arms. The medic hesitated and looked at Arcee.

"It's worth a try." She said. Sari grinned and the femme helped her up. Rachet straightened up and watched curiously. Arcee opened her chest chassis and the girl frowned. She didn't see a place for the key.

"What? This doesn't make sense." The girl said still frowning.

"Maybe it's because we're not from your dimension." Arcee said.

Sari looked at the bots spark chamber and saw the closest thing to a keyhole. She set the key above it and waited as it changed shape. She set the key into the tiny slit and turned it. The key glowed but only for a moment before it went out. Sari frowned again and tried turning it. Nothing happened. She pulled the key out and scrunched her face up as she looked at it. Arcees chest chassis closed and she looked at Rachet. The medic shrugged as the little girl got down.

"Man.....I can't believe it didn't work." She pouted as she looked at the femmes mangled legs. The medic walked over and examined them.

"It did repair something." He mumbled as he worked on gently removing a plate.

"Really?!" Sari asked hopefully. He looked at her and raised an optic ridge.

"Yes. It repaired enough so I don't have to replace them." Rachet muttered. The little girl cheered and hugged his ped. The medic scoffed and stuttered in protest. She giggled and ran off to help the next bot.

The medic grumbled something about children being in the way and highly annoying as he went back to work.

The little yellow bot looked up at his leader and the doctor as they spoke quietly. Doc bot had scanned him several times, and refused to let Sari use her key. Bee twisted his servos nervously as he waited in anticipation. Everyone else was in good shape and already doing other things to help. He looked up again as the two bots walked over.

"Listen Kid....we've run into a problem." Doc bot said. "Your voice processor is missing too many pieces." He wasn't sure how to put it gently. The little bot looked at him optics wide. His servo flew to his neck cables and he stared at the floor.

"Bee.....we might still be able to fix this." Optimus said trying to reassure him. "Sari can use the key and we'll see if that helps." He said.

All optics were now on the little bot as they listened intently. He looked up at his leader, optics filled with worry and fear. After a moment he nodded vigorously. Doc bot knelt down and Sari climbed into his servo. He lifted her up and set her on Bees chest plate as he laid down. She placed the key in the hole that appeared and turned it. His team watched in anticipation as the other threes optics widened in amazement. The key stopped glowing and the girl hopped down. The little bot sat up and smiled big, he felt tons better.

Bee opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. His optics widened again and he felt his neck cables. He looked up at the doctor and his leader, pleading. Optimus sighed heavily and hung his helm.

"Don't worry Kid.....we'll try finding you a new model or build ya one." Doc bot muttered as he set a servo on his shoulder plate. The little bot hung his helm.

Rachet looked at the two bots and suddenly remembered a similar situation. He remembered how inexperienced he was back then and how he could have done better. He glanced at the young scout who just stared at his counterpart blankly. The medic wondered if he was remembering the same thing. Reliving it. The medic sighed softly and looked at the floor. He quietly walked out of the room and disappeared into the medical bay.

~~

A little later Optimus walked in after him to talk to the medic. Rachet had his back to him as he worked on gathering tools to help repair the others.

"I'm busy." The medic grumbled without looking up.

"We need to talk." The leader said seriously. The other bot didn't move from his spot.

"I'm still busy." Rachet mumbled without moving. Optimus figured he might as well say what he needed to.

"We're not going back out there." He said. "My teammates are not warriors, they're repair bots. They almost died out there and I am not putting them in danger again." He said his voice rising a little. The medic turned to look at him and stood quietly for a moment.

"That's the risk every bot takes when he goes to battle." He said flatly.

"You don't think I know that?" Optimus asked. "They have no idea what they're getting into." He said angrily as he gestured to the door.

"Megatron will destroy this city if we don't go back out there and stop him!" Rachet snapped as he glared. The Prime narrowed his optics and clenched his servos.

"I'm not getting them killed." He said as he turned to leave. "We'll find another way." He stepped out of the room and walked to the others.

"They're a lot braver than you think." Rachet mumbled as he looked at the floor.