Will's Basketball Game

Dad and Carole had apparently spent ages deciding on a house until they finally settled on this huge house in the hills of Carmel (invented, just saying), which they'd only been able to afford because they'd bought it in a completely wretched state and this construction company dad does a lot of work for fixed the outside up at this big discount. Will kept going on and on and swearing that my room was the nicest one in the entire house. I was sure I was going to love it. We returned home, ate dinner rather early and sat on the couch, talking to Dad. I was still wearing what I wore for the flight here, My old, blue, jeans. They really went well with my run-down american tank and my cuff boots. The jeans and boots coupled with my black leather jacket and my Army-Navy Surplus shoulder bag made me look like a teen-runaway in some TV show. But hey, when you're flying for six hours across the country, you want to be comfortable not fashionable. At least I thought so. 

"I have a basketball game tonight." Will said out of the blue. 

"Ooh, cool! Can we go dad? Please?" 

"I don't know. We've been running around all day. Don't you think we should get some rest for tomorrow?" 

"Nope, please daddy? I could get into the school spirit" I tempted. He finally agreed and so I went up to change. It was actually rather hot now, although Will warned me it would get colder but seeing as I was so hot-headed, I just went ahead and wore a linen tank top, some jean shorts, my boots and took a black button-up cardigan just in case. 

“Can we go now? Please, please, please!” I said, my eyes alight with excitement. Dad just laughed down at me. I honestly didn't know why I wanted to go so badly. I think I was excited for Will and I just wanted to be there for him since I never had a brother before and wanted to wish him luck. Also, I wanted to get a glimpse of the school I'd be attending and maybe meet some students so I wouldn't be alone except for Will tomorrow. 

“Okay, okay! But I may need this arm in the near future so can you take your nails out of it?” He sneered jokingly down at me. I let go of his arm and examined my hand, puzzled. 

“I have nails?! By George, am I actually tuning into a…girl?!” I over dramatized, placing the back of my other hand on my forehead and looking away from my outstretched fingers in shame. Will was just standing in the corner, laughing and enjoying the show. 

“By George, what will we do?” Dad returned in a funny British accent that made me laugh. I dropped my hands, and he clapped me on the shoulder, lifting my chin up with his other hand. 

“You were always the athlete, you know. Miss Anything-Pink-Must-Go.” He chuckled down to me.

“I'm wearing PEACH aren't I? I'm trying my best. Now let’s just go, please!” I looked at my watch.

“It’s already…7:23 and the game starts at 8! Now let’s get a move on, Old Man!” I smacked his chest playfully and turned toward the door. I heard my dad chuckle and grab his coat and his keys and follow me out the door. Carole came out last, you know... Make up and such.

We jammed to Journey's "Any way you want it" on our way to the game. Will and I singing rather badly. My hair blowing in the still warm September air.