Everyone can change right?

“Okay class, as promised, we will begin our project today!” Miss Myers said, raising her hands in the air to show her excitement. I narrowed my eyes and stared at her; what project did we have? 

“Okay everyone, partner up with the person sitting next to you.” She smiled, un-stacking the boxes that were next to the chalkboard. 

My eyes grew wide and I felt my face growing pale. Great, even more chances to humiliate myself further. When I finally looked at him, I was kind of taking aback that he was staring at me. 

“Okay kids, your project, as you know, is to try and see if you guys are fit to raise a child.” The teacher grinned, holding up a baby doll. 

Oh dear god no! I thought to myself as she organized a line for the girls to retrieve a doll. I went up and received the plastic menace, bringing it back to my seat and holding it arm’s length away as if it were deadly. I twisted my face into a disgusted look, and heard Chris chuckling beside me.

“Okay girls, you are now wonderful mothers. Dads, if you would be so kind as to welcome your beautiful wives into the wonderful world of parenthood.” She smiled, folding her hands together as the kids spoke to one another.I groaned and slammed my head against the desk in frustration. 

“Okay students, quiet down, quiet down! Today is the day you take full on parenting. This child does not leave a parent’s sight unless with a babysitter, this child will not be abused or neglected, and if it is, I will know.” Miss Myers announced with a hint of hostility in her voice. 

I narrowed my eyes in a frightened and confused manner. Someone began passing big packets around and I placed one at my seat. I looked down at it and it was a journal to document what we did with the baby. I scribbled my name at the top and he wrote his name at the top of the paper too. 

I was about to say something else when Miss Myers interrupted “Okay! Time to name your child!” she giggled cheerfully. 

“Miss Myers, how do we tell if the child is male or female?” A snotty, girly voice asked. 

“That is for you and your partner to decide Rachel.” She answered sweetly with a mean undertone. 

I took the baby from Chris' lap and stared at its face. 

“It looks kind of feminine. What do you wanna name it?” I asked. 

“Angie.” 

“After the rolling Stones song?” 

His head snapped up after that one. “You listen to the Rolling Stones?” 

“Um, of course.” I said. 

“Really? That’s a first.” I raised my eyebrows

“Did you think I listened to Kesha or something?” 

“These days you just gotta assume.” 

“Pity.” 

We laughed and pondered better baby names. 

“How about Mary.” 

“Where did that come from?” 

“Now Mary by the White Stripes.” I replied.

“That name sounds very uptight and virginal to me.” 

“There are so many things wrong with what you just said.” We laughed.

“Polly.” 

“Sounds like a parrot.” I laughed 

“I believe Kurt Cobain intended for it to sound that way.”