Chapter Two

Waking up is never a fun thing to do. Waking up early during spring break is even worse.

Volunteering at the ice cream building for the spring festival caused me to have to be at the fair grounds at 10 a.m. That's really early for someone like me who isn't a morning person. And there's nothing that I can do to wake myself up because I hate coffee and Redbull is disgusting.

I wonder if Mason will be there today...

Ashley, stop thinking about him. He's just a random guy who you'll never see again.

I wish I could.

Stop. No. Bad girl.

Okay I have to get ready for real this time.

I slowly willed myself out of bed and head into the bathroom that is connected to my room. The ash blue walls already brighten my mood, and the quotes written in black paint make it even better. Stepping to the sink, I turn the faucet on and begin brushing my teeth and using my mouthwash so my breath smells nice and clean for the time being. Then I put on my deodarant and get my morning face wash and scrub my face with that before putting on my pore closer and my moisturizer and a small amount of makeup.

Heading back into my bedroom, I walk into the closet and grab my lime green volunteer shirt and my denim shorts. Sliding on my black converse, I head downstairs and say goodbye to my parents while my brother waits for me outside by his truck.

Since I am 16, I have my  driver's permit but my brothers insist on driving me places becuase "one day they won't be able to anymore." But we hop into his truck and he blasts the radio as we head over to the festival.

*

Walking into the ice cream building, I expected it to be just Andy and I. Andy was the owner of the booth. But walking in, I saw that there was someone else's things by the back door.

"Andy?" I called.

"In here," I heard his reply from inside the mechanical room where the air conditioning system was and the plumbling things. I found my way inside and glanced inside to see a dark haired man standing with his back to me. The muscles in his back made his  light blue shirt very tight and the shade of hair looked very familiar. "Ashley, this is Mason." My heart dropped. "You will be training him today."

*

"Now, there is usually a wave around 12, so we have to move quickly." His eyes were set on my face. "Are you even listening?"

"What?"

"Did you just completely ignore me? I was trying to tell you something really impor-"

"Has anyone told you how beautiful your eyes are?" I fought back the urge to smile.

"Now is not the time to be flirting with me, Mr. Hollis." I said lowly, trying to be funny.

His eyes got darker, but quickly went back to normal. He cleared his throat, "That's what people call my dad. You're making me sound old." He feigned hurt and covered his heart.

"You are." I stated bluntly. "Please just listen to me, a big group of people should be coming and with this heat, they are going to be antsy and won't want to wait."

*

On my break, I left Mason to fend for himself because there weren't many people coming because it was close to closing time.

It wasn't until I heard Mason raising his voice did I groan and hurry to see what had happened.

When I arrived at the window, I saw that there was a teenage boy about my age standing there with a smirk on his acne covered face. His red hair was cut to look like a fuckboy and his brown eyes held a mischievous twinkle. "Is everything okay here?" I asked cautiously. Mason was practically shaking with fury when I got up there and I was worried about him.

Not because I like him or think he's cute with the way his cappuccino eyes darken when he gets upset or excited. No, of course not.

"There she is." The  teenager said. Mason let out a sound that sounded like a growl, but I ignored it. "I was wondering if you would like to go out sometime? Like to a movie or my house?" The group of teenagers behind him chuckled.

I smiled sweetly at him and said, "Maybe when your face clears up, or you stop acting like a pig." The group behind him made a commotion and yelled elementary things like "roasted" or "you need some milk." "I think you should leave now."

Turning around, the teenager flipped off the group and stalked off by himself. "Hey, it's okay." I laughed turning to Mason, whose eyes were darker than I had seen them all day.

"No it's not, you didn't hear the things he was saying about you. So disrespectful, so-" Mason blabbered, not calming down.

"It's okay, I'm fine. It seems like you're more bothered by this than I am." I joked. He just glared at me. "Does Mason need a hug?" I asked in the voice I use around the kids I babysit. He continued to glare at me. "Turn that frown upside-" He pulled me into a bone crushing hug and buried his face in my neck, inhaling.

Okay...