Chapter Twenty Nine

- The Day Of Ashley's Flight - 

Mason

"Alpha, there's been a rogue sighting near the East border," a warrior whose name I can't remember stated as he stood in the doorframe of my office.

"Well did you catch it?"

"No, sir. But-"

"I don't want to hear an excuse, you worthless mutt. Go catch it, or don't come back." I growled at him. What an idiot. 

_

"Mason?" I looked up from the paperwork that was piled up on my desk to the door, which was held open by none other than my mate. "I just wanted to come say bye. I knew you didn't want to go to the airport, so I figured I'd just-"

"Goodbye, Ashley." She opened and closed her mouth, it seemed like she was trying to find the words to say.

She slowly walked over next to me and reached out to put her hand on my shoulder, and I pulled away just before she could make eye contact. I sucked in a breath as she started to talk. Hurt laced her words as she spoke,"I understand that you're mad at me, but-"

"Mad? No." I shook my head and chuckled angrily. I turned to face her, "Royally pissed? Hurt? Betrayed? Hell yeah." 

"I never betrayed you, Mason." She said quietly, but her voice was determined. Determined to make me feel bad for making her feel bad. 

I stared at her in the eyes, trying to control my breathing, "Have a nice flight." With that, I turned back to the work that was in front of me. 

She started to walk to the door and I glanced up at her retreating figure, but as she turned to face me once again, my eyes shot back down to the paper in front of me. "I'm not leaving to hurt you. I want you to know that, Mason." The pen that was in my hand stopped moving as I listened to her words, "I do love you. I wouldn't have let this happen if I didn't." I glanced up and noticed that she had my mark on full display. It had started to fade because our bond was fading. 

That must be painful.

"I don't regret anything that's happened between us." She continued. "When I come back, if you're still angry with me, then I'll leave you alone. Let you move on," her voice cracked as her eyes filled with tears, "but if you're not mad at me, then I'll know that somewhere deep down, you still feel the way you did at the festival that year." 

The door softly closed behind her and I heard her small figure retreating down the stairs. I could smell the tears that were dripping down her beautiful face. I closed my eyes and sighed, focusing back on the task at hand. 

_

I rubbed my hands down my face as I signed my name on another document. I stood up, my back cracking in the process, and I filed it away so that it could be on file for other pack meetings. My breath caught in my throat as a familiar name was scribbled on the bottom of one of the papers. 

To Whom It May Concern, 

My son, Mason Hollis, will soon be taking my place as Alpha of the Tenebris pack. He has found his mate, a human- Ashley Jefferson. Though she is a human, there is no other female that I could imagine taking the position of Luna of the pack that I hold so dearly to my heart. 

They seem to be a very powerful couple, stronger than I have ever seen. With my son's strong mind and my daughter-in-law's compassion, I'm sure they will take care of this pack better than I ever could. 

While taking this into consideration, if something were to happen to me before we are able to get the traditional marriage ceremony and Changing Of The Alphas ceremony, I would like for anyone who it may concern to know that all of the decisions that regard my pack lie in the hands of my first born and his mate. For they could make better decisions that I ever could. 

Alpha Benjamin Hollis

I blinked the tears out of my eyes and cursed. I need to get to that damn airport. 

_

Branches stuck to my fur as I sprinted in the woods to get to the airport. The roads would be far too slow, I needed to get to her two hours ago.

I could hear the traffic speeding next to me as my paws pounded on the ground and I howled, hoping she would hear me wherever she was. She would know it was me calling out to her. My heart was aching and I was beginning to feel a pounding in my head. I felt like vomiting. But I couldn't stop. I had to get to her. 

As my body morphed back into it's normal state, I threw on some shorts, not bothering to put on a shirt and shoes, it would only waste time. 

Frantically, I looked around the airport, smelling for her, hoping she would still be here- I wouldn't be too late. In the movies and books, the girl would be sitting in the waiting area upon the male's arrival and they would relish in their love for each other. They would live happily ever after. 

But this isn't a movie or book.

This is not my happily ever after.