Chapter Twenty Seven

Ashley

Two months had passed and Miranda had woken up about three weeks ago and was admitted to the sanitarium a week and a half ago. She was unable to complete her junior year, but since she had such high standings, it wouldn't affect her in the long run. She had excused absence until the next year so that she could have time to "adapt" and "heal."

But one does not "adapt" or "heal" when your mate cheats on you. I visit her everyday, she acts like herself, only a little bit less cheerful. She has days where she doesn't talk at all, and there are days when you can't get her to stop.

Today, Mason would be coming with me to visit her because he had to get an update from the doctors. We were sat in this big room, full of other people. Some were rambling on about their lives, others were screaming, and some were just sitting there quietly, staring into space. Some of the workers greeted me with smiles and 'hellos' and others just nodded at me, acknowledging my presence.

Miranda was sitting in a chair in front of a big window, looking out with a lost expression on her face. When she saw us, she smiled and I sat next to her, with Mason sitting on a chair next to us. In any normal situation, I would go and sit with him, but I knew that he understood that this wasn't time for us. This was my time with Miranda.

_

Mason

As the game came to an end, Ashley excused herself to go to the bathroom, leaving Miranda and I alone. "You know, Alpha, I never thought that it would hurt this bad to lose your mate." She looked down at the closed box that contained Sorry!.

"I'm sorry," I said honestly.

"Don't be. How could someone not feel this way about Trevor?" She smiled sadly, still looking down at the box. "I just wish it had turned out differently, you know? I think if we had met at a different time, or we were both older, or maybe we could've met somewhere else, it would've worked out the way I wanted it to. Maybe then I wouldn't be sitting here, telling you how I miss his silly laugh and his beautiful smile, or how his hair fell all over the place in the best way." The smile on her face remained, but it became forced. "I don't think he brushed his hair ever. He was crazy," a sad laugh came from her mouth, "but so was I. I am, still. He brought out the best in me, though, and I'd like to think I brought some kind of happiness into his life." 

"You speak so highly of him," I began, "Why do you do that? Why do you talk about him like he as a gift from the Goddess? Like he put the stars in the sky? He was the one who broke your heart so goddamn bad you ended up here," I tried to sound sympathetic, but I don't think my voice had the ability to do that.

She looked up at me and laughed. It was a small laugh that was laced with pain, "That's the thing about love, isn't it? You'll let them get away with murder, even if it was your own."

I nodded, understanding every word she said.

Ashley returned from the bathroom and beamed at us, like we were just in our living room having a cup of tea.

_

Ashley

We were on the way home when my phone dinged and I glanced down and saw that I had an email. I opened it and read it,, my eyes widening and my heart racing. Mason looked over and asked, "What? Who is it?"

"It's just my mom. I haven't talked to her in a while," I lied and clicked the power button, locking my phone.

Once we arrived home, Mason pulled me upstairs and we collapsed onto the bed, falling asleep immediately after sliding under the covers and Mason tangling his body with mine.