Chapter Twenty Three

Three Weeks After The Dance

The whistle sounded and we began the game. Lyss passed the ball to me and I passed it back to the stopper, which confused the other team because everyone passed it back to the midfield. The game continued on, and I got this weird feeling in my stomach. I knew we were going to win.

_

Screaming over to Lyss, she glanced up and crossed the ball to me and I continued running with it. I just passed the box line and was about to shoot the ball when a big body came at me from the side and knocked me over. My head slammed against the ground and I blinked, seeing black every time I opened my eyes. Screams and whistles sounded distant and I began to panic.

"Ashley, Ashley, are you okay?" Lyss' voice asked me. I blinked quickly and lights began to form shapes, which soon turned into images. Alyssa's worried face formed above me and she reached her hand down to help me up.

Mason

I watched from the top box of the bleachers as Ashley took the girl's hand and stood up. She rubbed her eyes and I could feel her frustration. Even though the mate bond was weak, it was still there because of the Alpha blood. I gripped the railing tighter as I watched her touch the back of her head. She looked at her hand and quickly wiped it on her black shorts, but it was too late. I had already smelled the blood.

She probably hit her head on a rock or something- she no doubt had a concussion. But I knew Ashley, and I knew that she wouldn't let an injury keep her from playing in the game. The teams set up for a direct penalty kick, which they let Ashley take. The only thing that I heard in the whole stadium was her heavy breathing. "Sit out," I whispered through the mate bond and I watched as she looked up and made eye contact with me. She looked at me, shocked for a second before looking back down at the ball as her coach yelled at her. Her small feet kicked the ball a little bit until it was on the line.

I focused on her breathing as she took a deep breath and took a few steps back. She squared her shoulders and shot the ball, leaning forward. Time seemed to slow down as she got her footing and the ball soared through the air. Both sets of bleachers held their breath and the only people who seemed to be breathing were Ashley and I. The ball soared through the top right corner of the goal and the crowd cheered. Her teammates ran up to her and hugged her as she stumbled a little bit. I could feel her fatigue was growing. "You're going to hurt yourself even more."

"Get out of my head." Her voice shot back at me. Tingles ran down my spine as her voice filled my head. This was the first time I had heard her voice speaking directly to me. I had heard her voice on the field, and in conversations that she had with other people.

I began walking down the bleachers, seeing Ashley's eyes flick over to me right before the whistle blew. I watched only her as I continued down the bleachers, even though I felt many eyes follow me on the way down: my pack and her family being some of them. I walked down the path that led inside the school and listened to the game continue. I heard the people from our town cheering for Ashley, which meant that we had the ball.

A loud cheer signaled the end of the game as another goal was scored by my girl.

I made myself comfortable in the little space in the hallway by the locker room. I need to talk to her.

Ashley

Running into the school with my team screaming and cheering was a great moment for me. It was the last game of the season and we just won. Our team was officially undefeated this year, like it has been for the past two years, and how it will be next year.

I was almost in the locker room when someone grabbed onto my arm and pulled me into a dark hallway. I tried to let out a scream, but the person covered my mouth. "I just want to talk." He said and anger spread through my veins.