Chapter Twenty Two

It's been two weeks since I walked out of the pack house that day. Mason hasn't called or texted. Word spread fast that Mason and I weren't together because people were treating me differently: boys were asking me if I wanted to hang out and girls were hating me.

It was currently Wednesday, three days before the spring dance, and I was not looking forward to it. Usually Miranda and I would go together, but she's going with some guy named Trevor. So I can either go by myself or not at all. And anyone in high school knows how embarrassing it is to show up to a dance with not even a friend with you. It sucks.

As I got ready for school, I threw on a deep maroon skirt, a black tank top, and a black leather jacket. After tucking the tank top into my skirt, I pulled out my black bootie heels and slid them on my feet. I head into the bathroom and lightly curled my hair and pinned the front pieces back. I applied some makeup and when I finished, I walked down the stairs and said bye to the family members that were awake and I left.

_

Walking with Miranda into the lunchroom, I noticed a few people staring in my direction. Some of them being my old friends from before I met Mason, and some being people whom I never talked to. I looked down shyly, not liking the attention, and someone grabbed my arm, making me stop walking and turn around. "Hey Kyle!" I said cheerily, greeting him.

Kyle and I were best friends in middle school and we started dating, but it didn't get too serious because we were only like 13 years old. But, even after middle school I still had this connection with him because we grew up together. We dated when we were going through puberty, which I find very funny.

"Hey Ashley, um I was wondering if you wanted to maybe go to the dance? With...with me?" He asked awkwardly and I smiled brightly at him.

"I would love to." He smiled, relieved, at me and pulled out a bouquet of flowers from behind his back. "So, you're a magician now?" He laughed lightly and pulled me into a hug.

His arms wrapped around my waist and he held me tightly. One of my arms was hooked around his neck, while the other one was off to the side, holding the flowers so they wouldn't get crushed.

"Okay, love birds. I'm hungry, can we go eat now?" Miranda broke us apart and we laughed awkwardly. We walked towards our table and Kyle's hand never left the small of my back.

And I have to say, I didn't hate it.

_

Saturday

Kyle had showed up at my house early so we could take pictures with Miranda and her date Trevor, who I later found out was her mate. Hm.

Kyle's baby pink tie matched my baby pink dress and the small flowers that were in my hair. My dress was short, almost to my knees, and flowy. It hugged my chest and then got looser towards my hips.

Trevor and Miranda had worn blue outfits, which made Miranda's dark curly hair look pretty.

After taking pictures for what seemed like forever, we all head out and drove over to the school. We had decided to take two separate cars in case Miranda and Trevor left early.

Filthy animals.

_

Mason

I logged into my new snapchat account and saw that Miranda had already posted pictures and videos at the dance. I took a deep breath and watched as Ashley and some guy danced together and acted all goofy.

I growled and held my phone tighter. I exited snapchat and called Miranda.

"Hello?" She answered, music blasting in the background.