Chapter Twenty Six

Mason

We have been waiting in the pack infirmary for what felt like days, but it had only been a few hours. My arm was wrapped tightly around Ashley's shoulders and she had still not said a single word. She hasn't even nodded or acknowledged that I was even here. I can't even tell if she was the one who had overdosed or if it had been Miranda.

As we sat there, I began to twirl her hair around my fingers and distract myself from the scene in front of me. Miranda had been taken back for immediate attention and the last thing I heard was that her heart had stopped and they were attempting CPR. No one has updated us since.

I look over at Ashley again and see her staring straight in front of her, at the doors that Miranda disappeared through. Her chest was rising and falling slowly, and her hands remained at her sides like they had been for the past three hours. "Baby, it's around dinner time. Maybe we should go grab something?" I offered, moving my hand from her hair to wrap around her hands.

Nothing. Not even a blink.

My fingers moved to cup her chin and turn her head to face me. Her eyes were still dull and it seemed as though she were looking through me. I sighed and placed her head on my chest, wrapping my arm around her shoulders again.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that, my love," I said quietly. I kissed the top of her head and tried to tap into the mate mindlink, but it was silent. Complete lonely silence.

Ashley

If Miranda was gone, I don't know what I would do with myself. She was literally the best friend I have ever had. When it first happened, all of the emotions hit me at once. Sadness, anxiety, anger, loss, confusion, terror. Now, I feel nothing. It's just a waiting game.

My head was resting on Mason's chest and I felt his heartbeat against my temple. The bitter cold of the hospital still managed to eat at my skin, despite the warmth that was radiating off of him.

"I am going to ask Max to come here and stay with you while I go get us some food, alright?" Mason's voice filled my ears and I didn't respond.

How could I think about food when my best friend is somewhere behind those steel doors, stomach being forcefully emptied and possibly not breathing.

_

Mason

As the doors of the infirmary opened, I silently thanked the goddess for Max's speed to get over here. If I didn't get food in me soon, I might just end up murdering someone and eating them. Max walked over to us and pat my shoulder and I nodded at him in appreciation. Before I left, I kneeled down in front of Ashley, and my fingers found the ring that was slid onto her ring finger. My ring.

"I'll be back soon, Ashley." I said quietly and leaned forward to kiss her, but was met with nothing when our lips touched. I pulled away and looked back into her eyes. Empty.

"I love you." I reminded her. I looked over at Max and sighed, seeing how he was already looking upset and nervous. I got up and left, my stomach growling and my wolf pacing.

I stepped into the car that someone had dropped off for me and I headed off, not wanting to be away from Ashley for too long.

_

A half an hour later, I walked back into the infirmary and saw the scene just as I had left it. Ashley was staring at the door and Max was staring at Ashley. I hurried over to the two and placed myself next to Ashley. I lowered the two boxes of food that I had brought onto the chair next to me. I handed one over to Max, and he took it gratefully. I held the smaller one out in front of Ashley and she didn't so much as look at it.