Chapter Twenty One

Mason

I woke up on my stomach with the side of my face pressed against the mattress. Glancing over to the other side of the bed, I noticed that Ashley wasn't there. I jumped out of the bed and rested on my hands and knees, looking around the room, sniffing to find her. 

When I didn't smell her, I rushed out of the room and downstairs to check the kitchen. She wasn't in there. 

Rushing back upstairs, I checked the office and she wasn't in there. I ran my hands through my hair, working myself up. I turned back to the door and saw Ashley staring at me wide-eyed with a plate of food in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. "Where did you go?" I asked her.

"I could ask you the same thing." She walked around me and placed the plate on the small coffee table in front of the couch. I walked next to her and she turned around and ran her hands up my arms until they stopped at my shoulders and I sighed. My hands found their place on her hips and I looked into her eyes. Her thumbs pressed into my shoulders and I began to feel myself relax because of her touch. 

"I woke up and you weren't there." 

"I was making you breakfast."

"But I went in the kitchen."

"And I went in your room." 

I nodded, understanding and ran my nails lightly on her sides. She pulled away from me and motioned for me to sit down and eat and I listened. "I'm going to go shower, I'll help you with everything when I get out, okay?"

"I don't need help." I muttered, my mouth full. 

"Shut up." She said, walking out of the room. I watched her leave and I smiled slightly. How did I get so damn lucky?

_

I sat at the desk with notebooks open around me and a bunch of tabs open on the computer. I growled and rest my head in my hands and shut my eyes. "Hey," she said, placing her small hand on my shoulder from the chair next to me, "It's okay, you can take a break. Go get some food or something, I'll stay here."

"No," I growled. The fatigue and jetlag was setting in and I was feeling even more irritable than normal. Being home and being around the pack has made me stress out again and I guess I was getting used to being around only Ashley and being able to do whatever whenever. She removed her hand from my shoulder and I sighed, turning to the side to face her. "I mean no," I said a little bit kinder, "I just need to get this done." 

"I know," she replied, "but you shouldn't get mad at me. I'm just trying to help." 

"I know," I repeated and pulled her chair closer so she was in between my knees. I placed my hands on her thighs and took a deep breath, "I'm sorry." I leaned in and pressed a kiss against her jaw. A knock sounded on the door and I exhaled. I pulled away and said, "Come in."

"Alpha," one of the warriors walked into the office and bowed, "Luna."

I glanced over and saw Ashley cringe at the title and I felt my anger pick up. "What do you need?" I asked with a slight growl.

"Sir, there's been another shooting." 

"Who?"

The warrior glanced down, "Keagan Russo." 

I cursed under my breath and nodded, "Okay, I'll plan a ceremony. Keep the body in the morgue." 

"Yes sir." He bowed again and left the room, closing the door behind him.  

I turned towards the computer and and began typing a report. "Do you want me to do it?" Ashley asked quiety.

"No." I snapped.