Chapter Twenty Five

After we carried all the bags inside and put everything away, I plopped down on the couch. "Mas!" I called.

"Yeah babe?" His voice sounded distant, like he was behind a door.

"Can you come here?"

After a few seconds, I heard footsteps and Mason's brown hair came into view. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just want you to lay with me."

He smiled slightly at me before wedging himself under me. I flipped over so our chests were touching and my face was close to his. I placed my hand on the side of his head and smoothed down his hair. "Are you doing this because you're scared something is going to happen?" I nodded. Mason placed his hands on the small of my back and ran his short nails up and down my skin, raising goosebumps.

"I just don't like the thought of people hunting everyone in the pack. Everyone I care about."

"I know, but that's just how life is. Humans have wars and assassins, and we have people hunting us. Nothing is going to happen to anyone in this pack."

"What about my family?" I looked away from his eyes, trying not to cry.

"They can stay in the pack house or live in one of the cabins by the pack house if they want to. I don't mind."

"I just...I just want everyone who I love to stay together." He nodded and moved his one hand to pet my head.

"They're not going to hurt anyone, my love." I sighed, not fully sure about it, but there was nothing I could do. "Hey," he put his finger under my chin, "look at me." I looked up at him and he had a small smile on his face, which made my whole body feel like I could relax. He slid me up so that we were face to face and he pulled my head down to his, connecting our lips.

Slowly, the anxiety began to leave my body and I was left in a state of bliss and tranquility. I pulled away from his soft lips and sighed, sitting up and leaning back. My legs were straddling his waist and the back of my head was resting on his shins. "What are you doing?" He chuckled, rubbing his hands up and down my thighs.

"Laying down."

"And you're comfortable like that?"

"Yes." He sighed and grabbed my hands, pulling me so I'm sitting up with him still under me. I placed my hands on his shoulders and looked down at him. His hands traveled up to my hair and pulled it all to one side so it didn't keep falling to my face. I crinkled my nose at him and he smiled brightly at me.

"That was cute."

"I don't like my hair on one side."

"I think you look beautiful."

I giggled slightly and said, "Oh shut up. You're just saying that because you have to."

He nodded, "You're not wrong." I started laughing and he continued to smile back up at me. "I still love you." I began to think back to when we were fighting and the smile slowly left my face, leaving a sad look in its place. "I never stopped." His hands rest on my hips and I stared down at him. "I don't know how much you remember about the night of your game-"

"I remember enough to know that you cared about me enough to put your enormous ego aside and make sure I was okay." My hands trailed down his chest and landed on his abs. The movement wasn't meant to be sexual, and we both knew it. "I'm glad you were there."

"Me too. If something were to happen to you that night and I wasn't there, I don't know what I would've done."

"We don't need to think about it. I'm okay. I'm here, and more importantly," I said, laying down on top of him and wrapping my arms around him, "you're here." I snuggled into his chest and his hands rubbed circles on my back, just the way they always did.