Chapter Nine

Lunch was probably my favorite time of the day during school. Not because I like food and everything, well I mean that's a big part of it, but I love lunch because I can do basically whatever I want to, and today I chose to sit outside in the rain and read my book. 

Currently, I am on book two of the Shadowhunters series and I don't plan on doing anything until I finish this series because oh my god it's amazing. But Clary and Jace can't be siblings, like what? No. 

Okay, sorry for my booknerd explosion, but nothing else really happened until I saw a familiar black truck pull into the school parking lot. I pretended not to notice it, until I heard a door slam shut and someone jogging over to me. "Ashley." He said, trying to get my attention. 

"Mason." I acknowledged, not looking up from my book. Please go away, please go away, please go away.

"Can we talk?" He asked cautiously.

"I thought we were." He sighed and grabbed my book, putting the bookmark in and slammed it closed. "That was rude." I said with no emotion. I mean how could I have emotions right now, my family is full of wolves, and so is the guy I have a crush on. 

Wait what?

"Ashley please just listen to me."

I looked up at him and glared, "No, I'm not going to listen to you. I think you should leave."

"Haven't you noticed that whenever you want me to leave, I never go?" He smirked a little. 

"Now isn't the time for you to be an asshole, Mason."

It was his turn to glare at me and his eyes went cold, "I guess that's just what I am. An asshole. I came here to make sure you were okay, because people were worried about you. Stop being a selfish bitch and get  over the fact that people aren't going to tell you things all the time because they want to protect you."

Tears welled up in my eyes, and his face softened for a second, before going back to the cruel looking face.

"Selfish? Did you just call me selfish? I'm sorry that my family has been lying to me for my whole life-"

"They haven't lied to you. You never asked if they were werewolves, not even when you were younger. I asked. There was nothing for them to lie about, you never asked, so they never told you."

"But they still could've-"

"I know, they could have told you. But they didn't. Get over it." He said coldly. 

A tear escaped my eye as I said, "I'm sorry." But before I could even finish the sentence, I was wrapped in Mason's arms. He had one arm on my lower back and one on the back of my head, stroking my hair. 

The bell rang and he whispered, "I'll pick you up at 2:30."

"But I drove."

"One of your brothers can get your car."

I nodded and he leaned down and kissed my forehead before leaving. I turned around and head back up the steps to the school.