3.3 Go out with me

~ Gray ~

I remember when I started going out with my ex-girlfriend, Katie. She was in my class during our junior year in high school and she had apparently been crushing on me for more than half a year, but the clueless, gay boy that I was, I had no idea. It was Elija who decided to put her out of her misery and told me that she gave me 'all of the damn signs' of her wanting me to ask her out.

She was enthusiastically telling me about something—I don't even remember what—and I was getting uncomfortable just thinking about why she was telling me so much, when Elija discreetly whispered in my ear, "Ask her out then."

Still, I did as he said, and she let out an ear-piercing squeal, but quickly covered her mouth in fear of appearing stupid. I was still in the stage of thinking all girls were stupid, so that was in vain, but I didn't say anything. I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

We went on dates. Several times. She was happy to let me know that she really, really enjoyed our time together, and I really didn't—not even a little bit, now that I look back on it—but I pretended I did. I played along with it, because I believed that I should. I thought I was supposed to be doing this. Going out with this girl, asking her to be my girlfriend, even kissing her. She was a nice girl, so why not?

I should have known from the very first time that it was all a waste of time. We went out together on this one Friday night and I was nice enough to bring her home—everyone knew that'd score you points. I stood on her doorstep, ready to get away from her house as soon as possible, thinking about all the things I'd rather be doing, but that was when she felt like simply saying goodnight wasn't enough. She stood on her toes, gently put her hands on the sides of my face and pressed her lips to mine. I froze for a second—but this was my girlfriend. I had to reciprocate the kiss and not let it show that I didn't like it. I was simply waiting for her to move away...

She looked so happy. I felt so guilty.

We were in a 'happy' relationship for a few months. She was ecstatic. She wasn't even thinking about taking our relationship any further, and I never brought it up either, which had the other boys surprised. Sex was all they were thinking about at that time. Hormones were a-coming. But we were still young, and she was just happy to have me.

And this was when Elija came out. I recall perfectly how he came up to our lunch table, just like every other day, slammed his backpack on the table, took a bite off his banana, and as if he was telling us he got a bad grade for his geography test—which he always did—he announced nonchalantly, "I'm bisexual."

That same day, I broke up with Katie.

I didn't do it specifically because of Elija's revelation, but I probably did so subconsciously. I still had no clue I was gay. Katie was devastated, of course, and she didn't understand why this was happening. Just like every other girl in our grade, she avoided me like the plague and gossiped about me with her friends.