7.2 What?! Why?

~ Mikael ~

I can't help but think about what will happen if the doctors are not capable of... making it all right again. I don't want to think about it and I shouldn't think about it, yet I still do. Seth is intent on going to class today and we all tell him to just stay home and rest, but he flips out and starts ranting about how he won't feel any better if he has to stay home and think about it every waking minute. In class, he has something to distract his mind with. He promises—he swears that he'll go home right away if he starts feeling unwell. As long as he doesn't need to stay home alone and get bored and anxious as hell. During our break we make sure he eats, and at the end of the day, nothing happens and he's perfectly alright, like he kept telling us.

I get it—he doesn't want us to treat him differently. I get that, but that doesn't make us any less worried. It's like we've become a group of mother hens and Seth is our only chick.

Since Seth and I are done with our classes before Gray and Elija, we return to the apartment building together, but upon arriving there, I remember the whole Gina-Simon-Pat fiasco and that we still don't know how it ended. I tell Seth to go on without me and head over to Gina's apartment. I just want to make sure everything's going all right.

It takes a very long minute before the door is finally opened—right before I'm about to leave, actually. I hear the click of the lock and see the door open an inch, revealing a red-eyed Gina in the tiny crack.

"Oh, hey, Mikael," she croaks with a sore voice. Judging by that and the bloodshot eyes, I'm guessing she spent the entire day crying. "Is there something you need?"

"I only wanted to come ask if you're all right," I admit.

"Yeah," she sighs deeply, "I'm all right."

"You don't look all right," I say, waving at her miserable appearance. "Are you sure?"

"No," she sniffs. "Everything's a big mess, but honestly... it's not as bad as it could have been. I fucked up real bad."

"Tell me about it then," I offer and she thinks about it for a few seconds, before pulling the door open and letting me in. Out of curiosity, I look around the apartment, surprised to find it looking neat and tidy. I quietly sit down on the sofa with her and wait for her to start talking. When she eventually does her eyes are brimming with tears again and her voice breaks as she speaks. "She broke up with me."

I figured she would.

Nonetheless, I keep quiet and just let her continue. If I know anything about women it's that... sometimes it's better to just shut up.

"It's my own fault—I know that—but I love her. I knew I was fucking things up for myself, and still... I guess I just couldn't stop myself. I didn't want to have to choose. That's always been my problem. It used to be before I met Pat, and I thought I'd changed, but I..." She sniffs a few times before continuing. "I guess I haven't changed at all."