Extra: Trust Issues

~ Randolph ~

A year has passed since my mishap. No, more than a year. Actually, it would be more accurate to call it the biggest mistake of my life, but I'll reserve that title for something else. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it. So my mishap: sleeping with my ex-boyfriend after my other ex-boyfriend just broke up with me. Never gonna happen again.

A year seems like a lot of time to get things done, and I'd love to say I did exactly that, but apart from graduating, not much happened. I spent a lot of time with Daniel and Suzie, and my sister, who's (surprisingly) still dating Simon, which has to be the longest relationship she's ever had, and I did everything I could to stay away from boys out of fear that I'd lose my heart to one again. But now I'm finally looking for a proper job, because selling hats is getting a bit boring—don't ask. Studying art is all fun and games, until you discover it's quite impossible to find work that has anything to do with art. Suzie was lucky to land a job at the museum, but full is full. There's nothing there for me. Daniel is even more useless in helping me find something. He's been working at the supermarket for five years and he just... He really doesn't give a fuck, as long as he can pay his food, his clothes and his weird gadgets.

Which brings me to where I am now. The local print shop. I'm pretty damn stupid for not thinking of it earlier, because this shop does not only sell prints, but also art supplies, and I occasionally come here myself to get some. My brain must have been lying somewhere in a jar in the back of my closet the past year. The old lady that owns the shop is always very kind, so I'm hoping she'll be kind enough to hire me.

"Excuse me." I tap on the counter to get her attention and she flies up with wide eyes.

"Sorry, I was a little preoccupied! I dropped a box of pencils earlier."

"That's okay," I assure her with a smile. "I was just wondering... if you perhaps need some help at your store? I never see anyone here and I thought... maybe you could use someone?"

For a moment, she looks confused. I'm not quite sure why, because the concept of somebody asking for a job doesn't seem that farfetched, even in a print shop. Still, she scratches her head and takes quite some time to think about it. "I'm not sure..."

I resist the urge to sigh. "Do you mind me asking why not?"

"Well, I don't really need anyone, since there's not much to do, but... it might be nice. It depends on how much you know."

"I come here quite a lot."

"Oh, I know, dear. I remember faces quite well. You're an art student, aren't you?"

"Was. I graduated."

She nods. "I see."

I nervously shift from foot to foot. She's peering at me so intensely that I feel a sudden need to use the bathroom. I'm not going to get the job, am I?