Chapter Fifty: Listen

~~One Month Later~~

     Levy

     Things have been almost ordinary around here, Lucy and Erza go on regular job requests but Gray has been out of it, something has been bothering him, maybe he was still fazed after seeing his friend get possessed by his enemy. We got our guild mates back, they recovered quickly thanks to Porlyusca, Chelia and Wendy. Mirajane got back on her feet only a week after the incident, Elfman got out sooner than her but he was sore much longer, our guildmates who were taken to Lamia Scale for the minor injuries finally came home, and after about a day of rest they got the party they deserved for working so well. We held Macao's funeral last week, Lucy has been telling us to keep smiling because Macao wouldn't be happy with us sulking, Romeo in particular tried hard to keep smiling for the sake of his dad. The only person who hasn't woken up yet was Gajeel.

     I sat besides his bed on a chair, I clutched his hand tightly while watching his face, he looked peaceful, too peaceful... Both of us were locked in a battle with a particularly strong demon, it was very strong and used acid type curses. We barely managed to beat it when another demon came in. I broke my leg and I couldn't move so Gajeel had to fight the two of them alone, the only help I gave was to give him iron to eat. He managed to defeat the second one but the first one came in quickly, denigrating his iron arm and striking out on his stomach. I still remember watching Gajeel fight the demon, the demon tore off his entire left arm and almost managed to kill Gajeel, I managed to distract it long enough for Gajeel to impale the demon, he didn't even seem to care if it used to be human. Thankfully the one we fought was one of the original demons so it wasn't human, unfortunately Gajeel wasn't conscious then to hear about it. He collapsed only a few seconds after his victory and struck the back of his head viciously on a few bricks. He hasn't woken up since.

     I sniffled and held his hand tighter, before he passed out he said to me "I'm sorry, Levy". Those were the only words I've heard in so long from him, he hasn't moved, his breathing was shallow, he couldn't eat so Wendy and Porlyusca had to show me how to feed him, attaching some thing to his neck so the liquid food could go down to his stomach. I had to be very careful with it so I didn't kill him myself. But the state he's in, it's like he's already dead.

    "Levy-san? Are you alright?" I sniffled and looked over my shoulder at Wendy, her face was of concern and guilt.

    "Yes... How long until he wakes up? It's been a month," I asked, Wendy tensed then she started fiddling with her fingers. Not good.

    "Levy-sama... Listen, we... if he doesn't wake up within the next month then we would have no choice but to... remove his life support," Wendy said, my heart fell to my stomach, the entire world seemed too bright, the room was spinning. I started breathing heavily, looking down at Gajeel as I tried hard to fight my tears. "Levy-sama?"

    "No... no no no! Please tell me if there's any way I could save him! Please, Wendy!" I shouted, bawling.

    "We couldn't do anything for now, we're just trying to keep him alive, it's up to Gajeel whether he lives or dies. All we could do is be there for him," Wendy explained, she started crying, she covered her face with her hands. "I'm so sorry!"

     I bit back a sob as I looked down at Gajeel, this man who started out as an enemy of Fairy Tail, was trying hard to save a friend with us. I hated to admit it but I'm not sure if I could live without him, I wanted to share my feelings with him after the war but I'm not sure if he would be able to listen to me in this state.

    "Levy, you should go," Polryusca said, walking out of the staircase from the isolated infirmary. "Wendy, I need you to get Lisanna for me and bring her to Natsu, he needs a therapist."