Chapter 3

Alex found himself in the basketball court with it's wooden polished floor. The floor shined due to it's cleanliness and maintenance. The school had a strong reputation in basketball. Many state-level players had once dribbled the ball in this same court, and so the school made sure that the facilities were of international level.

Alex walked through the court, towards the stands with blue chairs for the audience. On match-days, this court used to be filled with students from the campus, watching and enjoying the action. You couldn't find a single empty seat on all four sides of the court, and mind you, the capacity was around 300, which is quiet an amount considering it's just a school basketball court. But even then, many unfortunate students couldn't find a seat for matches and so had to miss on the thrill. That is why students would start pouring in the court an hour before the match even started. Alex approached the cement stairs which ascended towards the stands and avoided them, taking a right and walking parallel to the border-line of the court. he turned left into the changing room and changed into his tracksuit. A black sports-t shirt and grey shorts-his practice attire- and came outside. Now he was all business. He picked up one of the many balls lying here and there around the court, and made his way towards center-line.

Alex had the ball in his hand. His hands weren't foreign to the familiar touch of the basketball. Yet this feeling somewhere deep in his chest was different. He ignored it and dribbled the ball from center court straight towards the basket as he lined himself for a lay-up. He approached the basket and jumped with the ball in his right hand, his arm moved high towards the sky as he pushed the ball towards the board. His hair were flying all over the place. 90% of the time, the ball would touch the black square on the white board and land straight into the basket. But this turned out to be the remaining 10%. He missed. Alex tried again, gaining speed as he dribbled. Another miss.

Just then, a huge hand landed on his right shoulder as Alex turned around, completely sure of who's hand it was.

Mr. Shafiq. The basketball coach. He stood 6 feet and 3 inches tall with broad shoulders which had stooped a little due to his old age. His cheeks had become droopy, and his hair had thinned. Yet he never missed out on his personal appearance. The little hair that were left on his head were always dyed and combed back properly. Never had Alex seen a single facial hair make it's way through on Sir Shafiq's face. Alex wondered at times, how hard it must be to shave with such droopy cheeks.

Mr. Shafiq used to play at the international level, and it's famous around the campus that he had a knee injury which led to his retirement, providing a reason why he walks with a strange gait, stooping towards one side. His right leg took a step as the left one was almost dragged behind. His gait was somewhat like, right step-turn-drag, right step-turn-drag.

"Son! You'd want to start off with simple shots just to get in the feel. I know we've got a big match tomorrow. It happens. Sometimes it frightens a man, being the center of attention on big matches like these."

It's not the match. It's the girl.

Mr. Shafiq wasn't the inspirational type, he was the fearless, and brought fear into the hearts of those who had to face him. The big-mouth guy. Never had he been afraid of stopping matches in the middle just because he thought the referree was being biased, and same was his attitude with his players. Strict, was an understatement for Mr. Shafiq. He was called up on the stage before the morning assemblies to make the students form lines. And once he'd start off with his famous dialogue:

"Okay students! Stand in your line. I want pin-drop silence over here."

No soul would even dare to breathe loudly. But Alex was different. He was the captain, and the closest link of the team players with the coach. So Mr. Shafiq had always had a closer relation with him. At times, the other team players found both of them laughing together at some personal joke. But for others, to laugh with Mr. Shafiq was a fantasy.