Chapter 30

Charles was sitting on one of the dusty old wooden stools lined in front of the bar.

"What can I get you, sir?" The waiter asked in a formal tone. Charles's head was bowed down.
"A coke."
He sat there waiting for the person he had to meet. Just as he was downing the last sip of coke, a man entered the bar- a very familiar man. His over flowing belly was being held in place by his leather belt and the strap of his black laptop bag.
"Took you long enough." Grunted Charles.
"Chill bro! Got yurselves a drink then?" Edward spoke from under his thick mustache. Charles nodded. "A whiskey please." Edward gestured vaguely at the waiter- he had become mature with passing years.
"So how's stuff?" He asked Charles while taking off his jacket.
"Normal." Charles's lips barely moved.
"Look, Al-"
"Don't call me by that name!" He hissed back at Edward. A vein began pulsing rapidly close to his temple.
"Bu' tha's who ya'are, Alex."
"Alex died 15 years ago, Ed. He's no more..."
"Jus' give yurself anotha' chance man! Leave it.... it's of no use."
"THE DAY I LEAVE IT WILL BE THE DAY I DIE, ED. HE KILLED VIOLET. HE KILLED MY FATHER. HE TOOK EVERYTHING AWAY FROM ME AND I'D FAIL MYSELF AND MY LOVE IF I FORGIVE HIM FOR WHAT HE DID." Although Charles was whispering, yet it sounded so much more like a shout.
"An' wha' will ya'get in return?" Edward's voice was as calm as one could be. The truth was that Charles would have already shot him dead if he wasn't Edward he was talking to.
"Peace... maybe."
"You've already cheated death, Al. Once's enough fur'a life time."
"That wasn't luck. Life chose me to avenge my loss."
"A BULLET IN THE CHEST, AL. NO ONE SURVIVES THAT. It's already insane that you're sitting here... you don't need to make it more so with yur' killin' schemes." Edward was putting up a very meaningful argument.
"I am not gonna rest until I kill Stuart."
"And how're ya' gonna do that? Yu're in his own gang for God's sake man! Jus' back out. Go live a free life. Yu've got so many years ahead ov'ya"
"Do you think I am cracked up, Ed? Do you think I am mad that I joined the same gang of the person whom I wish to kill? I had a plan in mind from the moment I opened my eyes in the hospital, and I am going to stick to it."
"Yeah righ'! What's the plan huh?"
"Use Stuart against himself. In his own gang. In his own backyard. Look him in the eye and shoot him straight."
Edward looked incredulous.
"Y'know you actually are cracked up. All that money that you wasted on yur' face and reshapin' it so you look like a bald toad an'-"
"It's called a cosmetic surgery."
"Yeah whatever but-"
But Charles was listening no more. He stood up from the stool and paid the waiter. Then turned around to face Edward.
"I still love her. I need to do it."
"Al, she wouldn't want you to..."
But he was already walking away towards the door...
**********
Charles lay on his bed thinking about his meeting today with Edward. It was no longer the way it used to be...and how could it?
He sat up in bed and set his pillow at the back. He sighed with softly shut eyes while he faced the ceiling. Reaching out, he opened his drawer. His hand pulled out of it to produce a light blue pen which he caressed with his thumbs. This was his last possession that once belonged to Violet. A tear leaked from his eye as he brought the pen up to his lips and felt its mystic warmth.
He closed his eyes again and for one split second he was Alex. Millions of memories flashed before his eyes. A hazel eyed girl was cheering him on while he shot a successful basket. He was running up the seats towards her and he finally wrapped his arms around that girl. He was sitting in a tv lounge in front of her, with his hand over her cheek. They were sitting on a wooden bench on a chilly morning, eating ice cream together. And then- the fire of vengeance broke out in his chest once more. It is true that memories are the lone treasure of the heartbroken...
He wept that night again, leaking all humanity through his tears so he could prepare himself for the brutality that he needed tomorrow.

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed!
Tentative date for next update: 7th October,2016.