Chapter 10

"I am sorry. I don't know what to do." The village doctor, close to Fu hills had said. "I have never dealt with a patient like this."

They had to drive her all the way back to school before taking her to a hospital. Alex was with her when they put her on a stretcher. Her eyes were partially open and she was wheezing. Her chest was heaving up and down and a tear made it's way through to her cheek and raced down on the pillow. She stared at Alex.

"It'll be alright!" He had said.

It took some time before Violet's parents showed up at the hospital. Alex was sitting in the waiting room when they burst through.

"Where's my daughter! What happened to her?" His father, a tall bearded man had said.

"You need to remain calm Mr. Brown! It's a huge shock to us as well. Situations like these require us all to stay together and pray for her." The principal, who had also reached the hospital a few minutes ago, had tried to reason.

"I told her not to go. She was never in good condition to be going on that trip." Violet's mother said in between of sobs. She rested her head on Mr. Brown's body.

And then it struck him, as hard as a boulder landing on his head. A sudden pain shot up in Alex's spine as he remembered what Violet had said.

"Mom's sick. I have to stay with her."

                                                                 Mom was never sick... she was.

Alex felt guilty. He had never known about all of this, but he was the one who had made her walk all the way up. He loved her, and he had become the reason of her pain. There could be no worse mental torture.

He stayed there for the night along with her parents and Alex got to know them in that short time period.

Alex could see her mother's attachment with Violet and how sentimental her father was as well.

"I am sorry!" Alex had said to them. "I didn't know she was sick. I..I would have asked her to stay." He broke off. "I am sorry!"

"It's okay son!" Violet's mom gave a warm smile. "Life takes us on unexpected journeys. It's just a hard time for all of us. Nobody saw this coming... Violet too. She had TB for years, but it had remained in it's inactive form... I kept asking her to take her medicines but she just won't. And now look what she's got into." Her voice was wavering off. "But the problem really is, that you never know when or if this disease will ever convert into it's active form."

Alex nodded. Mr. Brown had remained quiet throughout this conversation. He hadn't expressed any sort of liking or disliking for Alex until now.

"I remember when she was diagnosed with Tuberculosis . I had cried all night long. It's a contagious disease you know." She sighed. "If there's anyone to blame, then that person should be me." And she began sobbing on Mr. Brown's shoulder who patted her on the head, still gazing blankly on the wall in front.

And Alex realized for the first time how, behind this veil of happiness, Violet was hurting. She was hurting really bad.

***********************************

Alex was sitting in the library on the top floor of his mansion. It was a huge room (also carpeted like the rest of their house) with gigantic windows on the left and a floor-to-ceiling showcase filled with books on the right. He was sitting on the deserted, long wooden table with chairs on either side.

He closed the book and sighed. "The Lone Warrior" by Dave Fretzman. Finally he had completed it, once again. As soon as he started reading, his mind began drifting away towards Violet and whether she's fine now. But book reading was his time-pass, so he had to continue doing that in order to keep his mind away from her.

He walked to the dusty show-case and gazed at the books which were neatly lined up in random orders that only Alex understood.

"Something new." Alex mumbled as his fingers caressed the covers of books that he had read many times. He pushed a series aside and looked behind it. Then walked to another section and fumbled with a few books which fell over as he pushed them aside. He had become restless. His thoughts were a blur and his eye-lids had become heavy due to lack of sleep since Violet had been admitted to the hospital.

"It's your fault! YOU made her climb all those stairs." Alex's subconscious argued and he became out of control.

He needed Violet. She had become a part of his life. He pushed away books and roared at the top of his lungs. A whole series came tumbling down and he threw all that came in front of him. Never in his whole life, had he been this enraged.

"Calm down." His other half thought. "This is doing you no good. Get a hold on yourself."

He breathed through his nostrils and tried to collect himself. When he looked back at the showcase, he saw a book that he had never seen before. He reached out and touched it's brown leather cover. He pulled it out and examined it's dusty front. Then, moving his hand over the cover, Alex got rid of all the dust and saw a date engraved on top of it. It must have been quiet old because there was no color left in the engraved words.

Alex moved his thumb over it and realized what was written. It was a year. "1980", and it dawned upon Alex what it actually was. It was a diary.

Slowly, he turned the cover over and examined the first page. What came next was a shock. Scribbled on the first page were two names enclosed in a heart. The names were "Arthur" and "Liz". Alex's eyes widened as he realized who's diary it was. The diary belonged to Alex's dad. He turned the page over and began reading...

*************************************

-Life's turning fast eh? :3 I hope you liked this. And I think that the chapters that are to come will blow your mind away. Now I think it's time we up our game a little. I write so you read and become happy, then maybe vote and comment so I become happy too? :3 A wattpad writer always loves his voters tbh :P Let me know what you think about this chapter and what's to come...