Chapter 14

-Hey guys! I am sooooo sorry for this late update. I know you guys must be really mad but my internet wasn't working .-. So this chapter is particularly long and I have a treat for you by the end of it. Hope you enjoy. Sorry again!

Throughout the next two weeks, Alex's mind remained preoccupied with thoughts about Violet. His mind was in a split. Part of him wanted to run away from her, to pull away before they were made to pull apart. While the other half wanted to run back, hug her and cry everything out. Was it right to love someone so much that you're ready to hurt them? Did this make sense at all? That he was protecting her by ignoring his feelings for her?

As inviting as the thought of going back to her sounded, it made him feel guilty to the core. The idea of what could happen haunted him. So he spent the two weeks in Basketball practice. His game was an all-time low, and the stakes were an all-time high. The Central Region was hosting the cup this year and Alex's school, being the champion of the Intra-regional Tournament, was given the honor to host the Inter-regional Tournament as well. And that raised the pressure to new heights. Because losing away from home is bad, but losing in your home is worst.

Alex worked hard. He trained for two hours at the court and one in the gym every day. Since he had left reading his mother's books, it became easier for him to adjust time. But like studies, all this hard work was fruitless. He'd drain himself out with practice so he won't have the energy to think about Violet. But that girl was everywhere. In every shot that he took, in every thought that he made, in every breath that he inhaled. She was somewhere within. She was somewhere unknown, smiling.

**********************

The whole team was sitting in the changing room. There was half an hour left before start of play, and Alex still hadn't got a call from Edward.

Alex was sitting in one corner of the dressing room. All around, shirtless team-players roamed with white towels around their necks. Laughing, and high-fiving. But Alex didn't feel excited. He had a sick feeling in his stomach. He felt as if he was drowning and there was no one to save him. No one except...

Mr. Shafiq who, being the best Basketball coach in the region, also happened to be the Central Region team coach, burst through the door. A team player (who Alex had barely even met during the practices) brought a chair for Mr. Shafiq.

"Thank you!" Mr. Shafiq sat. "So? How are your spirits boys?"

There were nods all around and muffled voices.

"Good! Central Region's been winning straight for the last 8 years, and I expect you to make it a 9. Although this is just the first match, but the first step's always important. AND," He looked around to see if everyone was paying attention. "This is a knockout tournament. No second chances, so I expect you to cash-in with the only one that you've got. Now we're up against the Southern Region, and although they have the poorest record out of all the regions, I expect you not to go easy on them. Now give it your best and let's bring the cup home."

Everybody's spirits looked high, but Alex seemed quiet the contrary. When the whole team went out into the court, Alex was stopped by Mr. Shafiq.

"You remember the plan right, Alex?"

"Yes!"

"Okay. Now let's do this." Mr. Shafiq said in an encouraging tone while patting Alex on the shoulder. But in reality, Alex had no clue which plan Mr. Shafiq was talking about, or whether he had ever even mentioned a plan for this team.

The next half hour went by in a blur. Alex looked in very low spirits while he sat in the team dugout. His pre-match warm up didn't look the most vigorous one as well, while he occasionally only looked up to find Edward somewhere in the stands. Shouting meaningless instructions to him. When was the last time he missed Alex's match? Why was he even playing when there was no one to support him. Obviously all the students present in the now completely filled stands were supporting him and his team, but that one guy who used to scream at the top of his voice just for Alex. That one guy who used to celebrate like it was his victory. Who used to tell him he's proud. And that one girl who made him feel special, they were missing.