Chapter 36

Charles looked down at the list of gang-members provided to him by the receptionist. 174 to be exact! He had to fool a hundred and seventy-four people in order to kill Stuart, while the hundred and seventy-fifth happened to be Stuart himself.

It sounded almost impossible, but if he was in a position to execute his plan, it was right now. He walked towards the elevator and pushed the button. Charles felt a tight knot in his chest. A knot that was desperately hiding Alex behind the apparent veil of his profound identity. The dream had rattled him more than he had expected. Was it just a dream or was Violet trying to give him a message?

No! He couldn't ponder over that idea now that he was so close. He forced his mind to concentrate on the task ahead of him while the lift doors opened and he entered. A few moments later, the lift welcomed him to the top most floor with a low chime.

The steel doors opened and he saw an unexpected visitor there. A visitor that he had not forgot, but had no idea that he'll be meeting her today, or ever again.

Elizabeth was sitting on the sofa seat that Charles had sat on when he was first brought here while Stuart smoked a cigar in his usual chair behind the desk. Elizabeth had set the chairs in such a way so she could rest her legs on the other one. Her face was almost as beautiful as it was back in the day, only that it was even more vibrant now. But Charles knew only too well what sort of person was masked behind that pretty face.

"Ah, Charles! What a present surprise. We were just about to have breakfast. Why don't you join, now that you've given us the pleasure of your presence?" Stuart beamed pleasantly. Charles's emotions that were dimmed by Violet were now being ignited further at the sight of both father and daughter sitting there and enjoying their merry life.

"Sure!"

He reached the table and his eyes locked with Elizabeth's. Even this early in the day, she had not missed applying eye-liner. She batted her eye lashes softly and smiled.

"Allow me to introduce you both. This, Charles," Stuart motioned towards Elizabeth. "is my daughter Elizabeth. And this, Ell," He motioned now towards Charles "is Charles. The new deputy I was talking to you about."

Elizabeth extended her hand out that was held by Charles after much contempt. His rage burned even higher at her soft touch. He could not manage a smile, but made sure that his blue eyes looked right into hers.

"Please, sit Charles." Elizabeth motioned towards the seat that was previously comforting her legs. "I have so much that I want to talk about with you." Her voice had become more seductive with passing time.

Elizabeth took out a cigarette from her pocket and held it to her lips before lighting it. She then handed the pack over to Charles.

"Sorry. I don't smoke." Charles said monotonously.

Elizabeth exhaled smoke.

"Impressed. Very impressed. How come?"

"Quit ten years ago. Haven't touched one since."

"That's quite a drastic change. I am sure though, that one more won't hurt. After all," She tilted her head towards him. "I'd be honored to be the one with whom you break the streak."

Charles's chest now seemed to be encasing boiling water. He looked at her for a moment before thrusting the pack of cigarettes back into her hand.

"If I don't smoke. It means I don't." He sounded resolute enough so Elizabeth did not push forward.

Stuart saw the tension building up in the environment so he decided to pinch in.

"Well, then. Breakfast, shall we?" He motioned to his right where Charles noticed a small circular table was placed with steaming food already placed upon it.