Chapter 12

-As promised, updating for you on the 3rd of August. It's short, but very punchy indeed ;) 

It was raining heavily. Thick dark drops poured out of the night sky and fell on the land below. Alex stormed out of the mansion and into the front garden. He was hiding the diary under his shirt in order to keep it dry and away from unexpected interruptions.

His shoes splashed in the mud as he took large wide steps and he began feeling cold. But nothing could cool down the fire burning inside him. His life had been a lie. He had been deprived of his basic right to the truth and he was going to get that right back.

He reached the gravel driveway and still continued forth. His gait was meaningful and his eyes glittered as if a fire burned behind them. He reached the shed and knocked frantically. The door was answered by Chris, the butler.

His droopy face popped in through a crack in the door and his lit up instantly.

"Sir!"

He opened the door and led Alex in. Then half-halfheartedly gestured for Alex to sit on the single-size bed on one side that was used by Chris to sleep. He seemed to be embarrassed to have his master sit in such a low-life shed, but he had nothing else to offer.

His other possessions seemed to be of little to no worth as well. An old radio squeaked in one corner, and noticing that Alex was staring at it, Chris slapped the radio off. A little fan hung on the ceiling and a wooden cot was placed against one wall, though Alex wondered why. He didn't remember Chris having a baby.

"Yes sir! What brings you here to this old shed of mine?" Chris asked, slightly bowing.

"Chris, we need to talk. Sit down." Alex said, and Chris began looking here and there.

"With me!" Alex completed his sentences and Chris reluctantly sat on the bed, keeping a safe distance between him and his master.

"So..."

"Tell me the truth Chris. Because you're the only person I trust about issues like these." It was true. The only reason Alex came to Chris's shed and not his father's room was because he knew dad would never tell him.

"Anything sir! Ask me and I'll pour my brain out for you."

"Tell me about my parents!"

Chris was taken aback. He wasn't expecting anything of this sort.

"Wh..what about them sir!"

"Tell me how did my mother die."

"She died of cancer sir. Strong woman I tell you. She really had the heart-"

"SHUT UP! DON'T YOU DARE LIE TO ME AGAIN."

"But sir-"

Alex threw the diary on the bed between him and Chris.

"This is dad's diary. I've read all about it. I know my mother didn't die of cancer. I know my parents weren't married and I definitely know you LIED to me Chris." Alex's eyes narrowed as he continued. "How could you do this to me? "

"Sir, I could not tell you."

"WHY? Why couldn't you tell me?"

"Because..." Chris looked away and considered his answer for a moment. "Because you wouldn't be able to bear the answer."

"I AM BEARING THE GODDAMN ANSWER CHRIS! YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME-"

"This..." Chris gestured to the diary. "This didn't give you the answers,Alex." Alex didn't remember the last time Chris had taken his name. "It only made you believe in them."

Alex was startled. What was he saying?

"Just tell me the truth then, Chris. I believe you more than this diary. Tell me please."

"I am not saying this diary is just a bunch of lies. I know Master Arthur. I was the one who opened the gate for them that night when he brought Miss Liz with him. I sneaked them up to their room. All of it is the truth."

"THEN WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT I CAN'T BEAR THE TRUTH."

"Because it's the truth, but it is our lie." Alex stared at Chris wildly.

"You should leave sir. It has stopped raining."

Alex couldn't comprehend a word of what Chris had said and he was led outside. Once Alex reached the door, he turned around and faced Chris. He was about to speak when Chris said the most meaningful phrase of their whole conversation.

"Sometimes Alex, it's better to deprive yourself of the truth to avoid the realization of the lie."

-This mystery is far from over guys...so stay tuned :) Follow me and add this story to your library if you haven't, cuz we're up for a wild ride I tell you ;) Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed! 

Tentative date for next update: 6th August, 2016.