Chapter 35

-Assalam-u-alaikum (hello) everyone! gonna finish this story within a week now, hopefully. So let's enjoy the ride!

Alex was standing in a lonely street with cold wind that blew across his face and whistled in his ear. Wasn't these supposed to be summers? He looked around and saw the first rays of sunshine breaking through light clouds and shining against the closed glass doors of the shops in the street.

The whistling became louder...louder...even more until it was unbearable. He put his hands up to his ears and pressed hard, trying to block out all the sound. His golden hair fell over his eyes... and then it stopped, as soon as it had started.

Alex pulled his hands away from his ears and looked around again. He recognized this place. It was the street where he had sat with Violet to eat ice cream. He looked towards his left and saw the same wooden bench sitting on the side walk, appealing him to come and sit.

He walked towards it slowly, one step at a time. Once he had reached the bench, he held out his hand and touched its cold wood. An agonizing pain surged through his chest and radiated to his whole body. He was struggling to maintain his true identity. He had waited so long to become Alex again, but Charles was taking over.

Sweat appeared on his forehead despite the cold. His heart pounded against his chest while his legs trembled feebly. Alex could no longer stand so he fell upon the wooden bench where he had sat many years ago. He hunched forwards with his head bowed down, staring at his shoes. And he knew she was here. He just knew.

Alex looked at his left, and there Violet was. Her white dress tailed behind her as she walked towards him, eyes not leaving his for a single moment. He could sit there and watch her all day while she proceeded towards him but he doubted whether he had the patience.

Alex stood up, but it was as if some magical power was trying to glue him to the bench. Violet took her own sweet time to walk towards him. Her eyes were as hazel as ever.

"Hi!" She beamed at him, and Alex could do nothing more than just stare at her. Words were always imperfect for perfect moments.

"I'll take that as a hello from your side." Her smile still stretched to her eyes that curled the way her lips did. Just the way she used to back then; like she had everything in the world.

Alex could not take his eyes off her. Her beautiful face was all that mattered right now. He had waited so long for this.

"So how are you nowadays?" She asked in her mesmerizing voice.

"I'm ready for it. I'm gonna kill him, Violet."

Violet looked hurt at his words. The smile dropped from her lips and she looked away towards the deserted street.

"What happened, Violet? I am sorry. Did I say something that hurt you? Please don't be sad Violet" His eyes were feeling warm as he realized that tears were pooling in them. He had met her after so many years and here he was, ruining the moment.

"I thought you were still my Alex." She sounded hurt which pierced a hole in Alex's chest.

"What do you mean? I am still yours. I have lived for the past ten years only to avenge you, Violet. I still love you like I did back then. You know that..." Tears trickled down Alex' cheeks.

Violet looked towards him feeling guilty at how she had hurt him. Her soft hands reached out for his and a wave of happiness swept through him. They locked their fingers together and stared at each other without a word, maintaining the sacred silence, too scared to break the moment.

It took a long time before Violet finally spoke.

"My Alex would never kill." She sounded weak, almost apologetic.