Chapter 9

-Okay so I've been getting messages about how people are loving the story but I should go faster and it's about time one proposes the other. But I have something better planned for you guys. I know you guys love this (that's why you're reading the ninth chapter :P ), but remember this love once you end the chapter. Everything happens for good. Get ready for a wild ride...-

Violet woke up to the sound of birds chirping in a tree nearby. Her sleep was usually this way, even a little whisper could cause her to wake up. She sat and looked around with sleep-filled eyes and hair that looked as if she'd just experienced an electric shock.

The sun was about to rise. The fresh air was proving as a healing agent for the pain inside her. She rose to her feet and saw in the distance. A man, with his back towards her, wearing a leather jacket was walking towards Buddha. She immediately recognized him as Alex.

She sneaked up behind him.

"Someone seems to be completing his final 'Run' chit." She said.

"Hey Violet!" Alex replied, still gazing forward. He didn't sound the least bit startled.

"How did you know it was me?" She said, now appearing from behind.

"There are a few voices that one simply doesn't forget."

God! I love it when he flirts with me.

It took them a few minutes to complete their journey and reach the foot of the Buddha monument. Although it was quiet a lot of walking, yet it didn't feel so when both of them were together.

"Um there's this passageway that leads up inside Buddha. It's a lot of climbing if you ask me. You could walk back if you want to."

"I love secret passageways." a playful smile held her lips. But the struggle was queit evident on her face.

"Are you sure?" Alex asked, now taking his first step on the stairs outside. Violet nodded.

They reached inside and Alex repeated.

"Are you sure?" His concern was clear in his voice.

"YES I AM! Stop talking as if I can't do anything." Violet snapped.

Alex stared at her wide-eyed. This was definitely unexpected and he made a little mental note for the future.

They began their journey upwards. Alex began counting. 1, 2, 3, 4, ... , 15. After every 15 steps came a landing. Both of them were unaware about what was present at the top. But that helped them continue. Keeping yourself intrigued was a good motivation.

The walls were dark and dusty from the inside and spider webs could be found here and there. Once a spider landed on Violet's hand and she shrieked.

They climbed and climbed and climbed for ten minutes before Violet's motivation-tank started running low. She was stooping forward and breathing heavily. She had stumbled a couple of times before Alex advised her to rest.

"Come on! Let's sit." Outside, the first few rays of sunlight were breaking through the cover of clouds.

Violet sat and looked above. They still had three landings to go.

"No! I am okay." Her cheeks puffed up with every breath she took and her face had become red. Alex found himself thinking how cute she looked and immediately felt guilty. She really did seem to be facing trouble climbing all these stairs.

Violet rose again before Alex pulled her down and she finally gave in.

"You didn't need to lie for me." Alex said after a few moments' time, smiling uncontrollably at the sweetness of Violet.

She didn't know if Alex's smile had this effect on her only or it really was contagious. But every time he smiled, Violet ended up doing the same.

"How did you know I was?"

"There was no... um... rest chit." He chuckled and Violet joined.

"We should continue." Violet finally said.

They kept ascending for a few more minutes before they reached the last landing. 15 more steps and they'd reach the top.

"Any guesses on what's at the top?" Alex said.

"Only one way to find out." Her face was beaming with excitement. Alex loved her playfulness. It gave him a sudden urge to become the reason behind her smile.

Alex began. First step, second, third, and he lost count. It seemed like an eternity. The moment, the whole composition and choreography of it. Time seemed to be longing for more as is stopped when both their eyes met. As Violet smiled up at Alex and Alex looked affectionately at her. It wasn't a moment of feeling proud, accomplished or fulfilled. It was a moment of love, affection and devotion. Devotion to one another's happiness. Submission to each other's weaknesses. They had done it. SHE had done it. Most unexpectedly so, once again.

They reached the top and still held their gaze. They had worked hard to see what the top contained, and now all of it just didn't matter. It took some time for them to tear there eyes apart and finally see what they had been waiting for.

They had reached a passage which divided into two. These two ends lead them to both eye sockets of Buddha and below them was beauty. Unimaginable, unforgettable, unrealistic beauty. Beauty which can not be put into words.

They looked at each other and immediately knew what to do. Alex took the right passage while Violet took the left. They walked up to their sockets and found old ruined mud chairs. They hadn't noticed them from the outside due to the height at which they were placed, but they still wondered how they could be so ignorant.

They sat and saw in their front. The sun, making it's way through a thick line of trees at the far end. The brilliant canvas of the sky was being painted breath-taking shades of indigo and orange. The cold morning air was so fresh and soothing that they lost track of time. Slowly the sun kept climbing up in the sky and it's color changed from orange to yellow.

They sat there for time unknown to them. They would have continued if it wouldn't have happened to Violet.

A sudden pain rose in her chest and she coughed wildly. An ear-splitting scream left her lips. Alex immediately became alert and reached her as fast as he could.

She was coughing out a weird liquid, and then Alex saw what he has dreaded all his life. He could never forget the scene of Violet coughing out blood, shaking on all fours. Her whole body was trembling and Alex's mind completely stopped working.

He made her sit up. She was completely drained of any sign of energy. Her body just gave way wherever Alex pushed. Alex landed her head on his chest.

"Violet! Violet!" He jerked her head before she finally opened her eyes...

-Writing this was hard...and I am sure reading was too. So as I said in my first update that give this story some time, and I promise you won't regret it. I promised it won't be cliche'. Let the story begin... :) -