Chapter 24

-The reality that all of us have been waiting for...

Alex was bamboozled. He was aware of his head shaking, but could not stop.

"Wh-what are you- No. Chris...my father?" He could not find the right words to say.

"Yes, Alex. Chris is your father." Arthur was looking him in the eye now, an undefined expression held his face.

"But... but in the diary. You wrote about your son and that my mother...I mean Liz wanted to name him Alex and-"

"There's more to the story. And now that I've told you the reality, I am bound to explain myself as well."

Alex did not know if he wanted the answers. But he might as well listen to them now that he knew.

Arthur took a deep puff from his pipe that had been wasting for quite a while. Then he reached for another drawer and pulled out an old picture. He put it down on the table and examined it with soft eyes. After a moment, he twisted and pushed the picture towards Alex.

"This... is Alex." Alex held it up and looked at it. A little new-born placed in a pram was smiling and kicking the air in delight.

"You mean...that's me?"

"No no!" A soft frown showed on his forehead as he realized. "Oh I understand you'd want to look at yourself too."

Alex was completely puzzled. Arthur opened the drawer again and took some time to retrieve another photograph. He handed it to Alex. A baby was lying down in an old wooden cot, crying his lungs out. Where had he seen that cot? He was sure that he had, but where?

In Chris' hut. That day when I went to see him.

The baby had the same silky golden hair and bright blue eyes.

"This is you Alex."

Alex looked at it for a long time, tracing his thumb over the baby that once used to be him, unaware of what the future held for it.

"I don't get it."

"I thought you'd say that." Arthur took one last puff from the pipe and dumped the tobacco. "Everything in that diary is the truth. Your story begins after Liz's death."

Arthur stopped for a while, possibly regrouping. He had not imagined that he'd have to go through it all once again, but the situation demanded it. Alex kept on listening intently.

"I named my baby Alex, because Liz liked the name. She was always crazy for it. Had already named him even before his birth." Arthur smiled to himself at some personal memory. "The baby... well you see there were complications in the delivery. Complications that cost Liz her life. She did not let the doctors consult me for the decision and signed the consent forms herself, taking responsibility for any eventualities that may arise. Alex survived, but she couldn't. But he, himself was very weak. He stayed in the incubator for a couple of weeks, and then-" Arthur drew in a shaking breath "-and then... he died too. My baby died even before he I could bring him home once, and I lost my Liz for him. My world shattered, Alex. I was left alone. Half of me died with Liz, and the other half with my baby. You see Alex, no one dies alone. Parts of us live because of the presence of certain people. And when they die... those parts die with them."

Arthur's eyes were watering now and he pulled a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe them. He looked up at Alex with a flushed face and pursed lips. A look of positive adoration on his face.

"I thought I'd no longer be able to live, but you made me live Alex. You gave me a reason to be alive. Chris had a baby shortly after the death of Alex, and that's where you enter the scene. Chris is not only the family butler, he was my great friend. He could see that I no longer held the essence of being alive. He knew I needed someone to love and care for. I survived because he gave you to me. I adopted you even before you could open your eyes and I named you Alex because that name had a connection with the love of my life, Liz. You see, I could easily marry someone else, but I am still loyal to her. I see you in her. I still have her as long as I have you."