Chapter 27

-It's gonna be unexpected... and no, we're not nearing the end.

On the tenth of January, Alex woke up early at dawn. He had expected to feel anxious today about his first date, but not as nervous as he was right now. He turned his sleepy eyes towards his father, who lay sound asleep in his creaky bed.

He rubbed his eyes and realized that his father had once again draped their lone sheet over him despite the retaliation that he had been showing for the past week. He couldn't say that he didn't feel cold, but Chris's love for him provided him with warmth.

He sat up and gazed lovingly at his him. Alex's golden silky hair were falling over his eyes. He stood up and draped the sheet over Chris and set out of the shed, into the open air. The chilly wind hit him square in the face as soon as he stepped outside.

He strolled casually and sat on the grass of the lawn that once belonged to him. Fine dew droplets were sprinkled on it that shone against the soft sunlight that was breaking through the depths of the night sky.

I need to go up to my room to get some clothes for today. Can't wear these.

******************************

Alex sat in his shed at ten in the morning, completely ready for the date. He was wearing a navy blue full-sleeved sweater over a white shirt. He had also gone through the hustle of changing his ragged old jeans and was now wearing black ones. It wasn't too catchy, but he liked it this way.

He looked at himself in a small mirror that he was holding in his hand. Chris used it as there was no mirror placed on any of the walls of his shed. Alex made his last-minute checkings.

Sweater? Check!

Perfume? Check!

Peppermint? oh damn!

He sprayed his old peppermint spray that he used to have.

Watch? Naah I don't want a watch today.

Wallet? Check!

Well then... Let's do this.

Just as he stood up Arthur entered, dressed in a sleek black suit.

"So...you're ready?"

"Yeah... I was just about to leave." Alex replied, keeping himself devoid of emotions.

"Good, good. I was just leaving for the airport as well." Arthur paused for a moment before continuing. "You can still come. I'll buy a ticket on emergency basis for you. If not as a father, consider this as a friendly offer." Alex could see that Arthur was hurt, but he could not afford to miss Violet's birthday.

"I.. I can't miss today's plans. We'll do this some time else."

"Yeah, sure... well then. Good bye!"

"Good bye!" Alex tried to give his most honest smile.

Arthur turned on his heals and sat in the black Mercedes that was waiting for him. The car passed the gates and drove on towards the airport.

Out of the green belt beside the road, a short but physically fit man peered over the bushes and looked through a pair of black binoculars. He stooped back to the ground and took out a mobile phone and dialed a number.

"Yes boss, he's left for the airport. No...no the kid's not with him. Yes sir, yes. I'll alert Phill."

************************************

"HEY!" Alex exclaimed in an exasperated tone as Violet hugged him on her doorstep the moment she saw him. She had wrapped her arms around his shoulders and was resting her head over his chest.