Chapter 8

Violet took her last step and reached the clearing. What she saw had blown her mind. Plain land stretched far wherever she looked. Green grass, shimmering with due droplets shined like little fairies dancing for the full moon. Somewhere in the middle, a large bonfire was already flaming. The fire was licking through the dark and stretching towards the heaven above. The students were sitting all around it on logs, chatting, laughing and eating.

But what really caught her eye was something else. Alex completed his journey as well and stood beside Violet. Now he could see the reason behind her amazement.

About half a kilometer behind the bonfire, was Buddha. Sitting cross-legged. He was resting the back of his hands on his knees and had his eyes closed. His ribs were evident and he had covered himself with a simple piece of cloth draped around one of his shoulders.

It was one of the most beautiful monuments that Alex had seen and he found himself wondering why he'd never heard of this place before. It rose way above than the bonfire, as if looking down towards a firefly.

"Whoa!" Alex exhaled a breath that he didn't know he was holding.

"Exactly!" Violet answered, without taking her eyes off the monument.

"We'd better reach the bonfire, in case everybody starts to worry."

They walked towards the others and this time Violet was keeping up well. It seemed as if the scenery had charged her up. Finally they reached the others.

"Just where were you guys?" Edward inquired.

"It took you guys a month y'know. We were just about to leave." Max added.

"Stop being over dramatic guys." Alex said with a chuckle and Violet felt her stomach melt away.

"Alex dear! Here, have some coke. You must be very tired." Elizabeth said, handing Alex a paper cup.

"Uh no! I am fine. I don't drink coke." Alex held his palms up in denial so they faced the cup.

"But what I really want to know. Is who lost? Because we've all decided that the loser is gonna complete a dare."

"I did." Alex and Violet said in union.

They both stared at each other with their eyes open wide.

"I mean She did."

"I mean he did."

Edward couldn't help but smile

"Um. We did..." Alex said while clearing his throat and kicking aimlessly. It had become an awkard moment

"...it was, well, a close call really." He ended.

Violet's cheeks flushed with blood as she felt heat rise up in her chest.

"She barely won!" Alex said as everybody gasped. They were staring wide-eyed at both of them. How could Alex lose?

Violet didn't know what to do. It was so cute that he stood up for her, but now she was cornered and she couldn't help him.

"Well then, get ready bro!" Jess said.

*****************

The dare was simple. They were going to have a lucky draw as one by one everybody in their group would take turns to pull out a note from a fish jar that Edward had brought with him (he would have probably thought about this dare even before they had left for the trip). The notes would have either of the two options written on them. Option number 1: Run. Which meant you'll have to run till the Buddha monument and then reach back. Option number 2: Rest, which sounded like heaven to Alex's ears.