Chapter 6

Violet's dislike for Alex slowly started to fade away with passing time. Alex, who was already famous, had become a celebrity by now. But Violet didn't talk to him because she wanted everyone to know that she was friends with the Alex. Now that she had watched the match, she genuinely thought of him as a nice person. The way he catered to John when everybody faced away from the revolting sight. The bond that he had with Edward, Yes! they did break rules, that is for sure. But she respected Alex for the person that he was. She admired the fact that he played so selflessly yesterday and didn't try even once to put up a one-man-show.

Of course he was handsome. But for Violet, that was just a plus point. What really mattered was spiritual beauty. That is created by one's own self. While physical beauty was involuntary. Nobody wanted to look ugly, and in her eyes, nobody really was. For her, it was unfair to judge people on traits that they involuntarily had to possess. But she hated people who weighed others in the balance of physical beauty and stayed away from that notion herself. Besides, once you actually liked a person, he or she automatically looked attractive to you.

A day had passed since the match and Alex and Violet were now sitting in class. It was Ms. Wajeeha, the English literature teacher, who had initiated their interaction. She had that unique trait of gripping a class's attention and she was always in a lookout for ways to make her class more interactive. She always had a scarf pinned over her head which matched with her dress. Violet wondered the amount of scarfs that Miss Wajeeha would have in her wardrobe.

"Ms. Brown!" she had called out her name.

"Yes miss." She replied in her mesmerizing tone.

Ms. Wajeeha was forming pairs for the students to brainstorm regarding a story and then put it on paper.

"I want you to pair up with..."

Her heart began to beat faster as the thought struck her mind. Her throat clenched and she realized she had suddenly become thirsty.

"Alex dear! Come and sit with Ms. Brown. And remember, I want to see your creativity in it as well."

Alex came and sat with Violet. They had a safe distance in between, and Violet hoped to maintain it as time progressed. She just wanted to be his friend, nothing more, and definitely nothing less.

But as soon as Alex swiftly swung his black backpack from his broad shoulders onto the table. She felt vibes coming from his body. These weren't alpha, beta or gamma radiations. No, not at all. Violet called them positive or negative radiations. And in this case, Violet seemed to receive the former.

She wanted to talk to him. There was so much that she wanted to say, yet she didn't have the courage to. In the background, Ms. Wajeeha spoke in a blur voice. Or maybe she was devoting all of her attention towards Alex and everything else had just faded into the background. She decided finally to begin the conversation. She cleared her throat.

"Okay so do you have an idea for the story?" She asked.

"I am sure I will, once Ms. Wajeeha explains what we actually need to write on." He replied.

She felt so stupid. What was she doing.

Just be natural

It took her some time to realize that what Alex had said, was by no means intended as a taunt. He wasn't being sarcastic. He had said that in a a very friendly tone. And that made Violet feel at ease with him. Finally someone who doesn't highlight your mistakes.

Alex was looking forward at Ms. Wajeeha with the index finger and thumb of his right hand cupping his chin. His index finger moved lazily from one end of his chin to the other. Slowly and smoothly. It was like the pendulum used by illusionists to make people fall asleep. And slowly Violet committed herself to the magic that Alex possessed.