»28« Uncertainty

Lyria POV

8th of June

Yesterday, the squad left my house after our one-week-Summer-sleepover.

Skipper and Inez kept their distance from each other the whole time after our game of 'Truth or Dare' on first of June.

I wish the awkward tension between them would soon subside or it would be a problem for them when school reopens.

" Baby, this is what you came for. Lightning, strikes every time she moves..." Dayn sang at the top of his voice as we used our phones and even laptops on the couch while waiting for our parents to come home from their overseas trip.

" Shut up, you sound sooo annoying," I caught Skyler rolling her eyes at Dayn as she continued playing her game on her phone.

I would normally laugh at her comments and remarks but this time I just remained silent for Skyler wasn't really herself towards me recently.

It seemed like she was mad at me after the sleepover we had with the squad.

What was wrong? I wanted to ask her that but her fierce eyes just makes my confidence disappear away.

Staring at the clock above the television in the living room, I realised that Ma and Pa would come home anytime soon.

Ding Dong...

See, I told you.

I rushed towards the front door, swung it open so widely I could have torn the door off its hinges and engulfed both my parents in a back-breaking hug.

" That... was... intense..." Pa said between breaths as I released them from the grasp of my infamous hug.

" Glad you like it, so look forward to having more ," I turned on my heels and walked towards the kitchen to prepare drinks for our dinner as Dayn and Skyler walked towards my parents and gave them more back-breaking hugs.

§ § §

" And I saw this super duper duper cute little finch outside my window on one of the mornings and I wanted to squish its cheeks," Ma stated enthusiastically. She's always so hyped about animals, especially birds.

" Anyways, New York is really a great place with a huge population. You should have seen how they run their schools! You'll love it there!" Pa exclaimed, looking up from his plate of mashed potatoes and salmon to us.

I can't help but feel something big's gonna come.

Pa is a geographer from this famous geographical organisation called GWO. They are a group of people who apparently travels to specific places in the world to study their culture, population, transport, economy and many more. The company pays for their trip and their housing on top of their salary in return for the 'precious' and valid research they have collated.

I have a really really bad feeling that we're going to move to New York next and I really really don't want that to happen because this time in London, I actually opened myself to a group of people called 'friends'. It's been a while since I had friends since I thought that because I kept moving from state to state, people wouldn't want to make friends with people who's just going to go away forever at the end of the year.

And then, this bunch of crazy kids just showed up and befriends me even though I dropped hints that I might move away at the end of the year.

" Did you hear that Lyria? I found this super big store of marshmallows with almost every flavour and I instantly thought of you!" Ma's hearty laughter reveberated throughout the dining room and brought me back to reality.