¤37¤ Tension

Lyria POV

I looked at the clock on the wall. 

Dayn looked at the clock on the wall.

I turned away and continued my "spying' mission.

"Is that him?" I whispered softly to Dayn as I peered out of the window and into the driveway.

"No. Keep your eyes peeled," Dayn whispered back.

"Like an orange?"

"Yup. Be an orange,"

" I rather be a marshmallow. Concentrate on the driveway !"

Dayn and I stood side by side at the window.

"Now, that's him," Dayn pointed at a man through the window who was wearing a red shirt and approaching our house quickly.

Suddenly, I was yanked back abruptly and the curtain of the window blocked my view.

" I think he saw me staring at him. What if he thinks I'm stalking him from a distance..." Dayn exclaimed.

" He probably think you were waiting for him to come home..." I rolled my eyes.

The faint jingling of keys was heard and the main door of the house swung open.

" Guess who's back? " The man in the red shirt exclaimed gleefully in a sing-song voice.

" Aye, Pa " Dayn and I responded back together in unison as we each gave him a hug.

Mission Talk-to-Pa-properly-about-the-New-York-thingy  has commenced.

{♢}{♢}{♢}

" Do we talk to him now? "  Dayn wiped his clammy hands onto his shorts as he asked over the loud whirring of the hairdryer that Pa was currently using in the toilet.

"Obviously not, blur ball, "  I answered as the sound of the hairdryer slowly died down.

So, from the time when Pa bathed to the time when he was getting ready to rest on the living room couch, we secretly followed him.

Well, we thought we did it quite secretly.

"Pa, we need to tell you something. Something important..." Dayn's voice quivered towards the end of his sentence as his eyes rested on Pa's slouching figure on the living room couch.

" Finally, you spoke. I thought to myself when y'all will stop stalking me," Pa chortled as he continued, " Well, carry on then."

" Wait, wait. Let me guess. It's about going to New York because of my work, am I right?" Pa raised his eyebrows and looked at us.

Both Dayn and I nodded.

For the first time in my entire life, he actually guessed it right. He definitely deserves an award.

" Y'all are not going to let this matter rest so, what do you  wish to tell me regarding this?" Pa let out a sigh as he folded his arms and glanced up at us.

He probably have already guessed that we were unhappy about it but to tell him was kind of hard because it was out of our characters to tell him our feelings honestly even though that was probably normal between children and their parents most of the time.

" We don't want to go to New York. We want to continue staying here in London," Dayn responded in a serious tone although I could tell he was actually half-afraid of Pa's reaction.

I mean who wouldn't? He's so unpredictable like the weather.

" And how would you do that?" Pa continued with his arms akimbo. I suddenly felt as though I'm a suspect being interrogated at the police station. This is frustrating.