the man

I FROZE. FATHER froze. Mother froze.

The men around us held their rifles down straight away.

"At ease," The same voice appeared behind them at out doorway. I caught sight of a head bobbing towards us.

The men stiffened and attached the guns to their holsters, then joined hands behind their backs.

The two men in front of the door way stood aside and faced each other. A tall, sturdy man walked in between them, and the two soldiers beside him bowed their heads slightly and respectfully .

This important man walked right towards us. As he came closer I examined his features. Neat black tuxedo that looked pristine from millionaires. Short gray hair with aging white, neatly tousled to one side. He had lying yet smiling frosty gray eyes that matched his hair, and was just the height of my father. He had small lumps of muscle visible on his arms under his tuxedo. Even his vest was a pure silvery black.

"I've been waiting to meet you," He said pleasantly, but I disliked his unfortunate kindness.

"Who are you?" Father demanded, bristling. Mother gave him an alarmed look.

"Nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Coalers. And Miss Coalers, of course," he said nicely enough, looking at me in the eye.

I didn't like the way he looked at me. It made me shiver. I dared catch his gaze momentarily, than darted my eyes to the floor, as if I did something naughty.

"How do you know our surnames?" Father asked in his poshest voice, but it came out all strangled.

"My name is Steve. I'm the head of the Next Generation HQ. I know that you may have lots of questions, that I understand. You also must understand that this savage search is all about your daughter here," The wealthy man exclaimed.

"What does Cimber have to do with this?" Father said with an edge to his voice.

"Please let me continue. My conversation with you will have limits, of course." Limits? "Let's have a seat."

We all sat down tentatively on the bedraggled sofa's. They were torn and straggly with age. Steve gave them a disapproving glance.

"So I hear that there has been a suicidal act in front of Miss Coalers eyes recently, isn't it?" Steve inspected.

We all nodded. Mother was tapping her fingers, always doing that when she was impatient.

"Well, do you have any idea why Daisy committed suicide?" Steve asked, his eyes unmistakably glittering.

I dug my fingernails into a hole on the couch and shook my head at him.

"You're going to have a warning as an answer. We know all, Cimber. The Next Generation knows all." It was clear that he was only directing this at me."There is evil in this world, Cimber. Daisy's attempt was the first yet. I'm giving a huge opportunity, a choice. Listen hard."

Father frowned, irritated that he was talking to me.

Steve continued nevertheless. "You can come with me, Miss Coalers, and you won't have to face your future in rags of the changing. You can come with me and be sure that you have safety. You shall be treated flawlessly. No one can turn down such offer, you think?"

I was surprised. My jaw reached my knees. Why was he giving such offer to me?

"Hold on. You're asking my daughter and ensuring her safety when your team almost killed her and me?" Father snapped.