the plan

WE PACKED UP nearly everything we had, making use especially of the bags Ariana stole. Water bottles, warm clothes, the last of our food (we decided anyway that we would hunt as we go along), fire matches, the med kits box, the blankets and our range of weapons. Of course, we couldn't haul all the bows all the way to Cliffton, but we didn't want to leave them either. After counting I discovered that Brook had carved and made fifteen bows, whereas we could only take four each along with a quiver. Ariana created two piles with Brook: powerful and stylish, the other pile unused and unfinished. We ended up with six on the unused and nine on powerful. Take away four, we would be leaving behind five good ones. Brook remained in a bad mood that all her efforts would be wasted, but she didn't release her guilt in front of us.

Ariana put her beautiful metallic bow that we bought in Corpsejay in the stock of bows that we were leaving behind, casting a fair look at Brook, then picking one out of the stylish pile. I was surprised when I saw a pure white, smooth and untouched bow that Ariana got from the pile. How did Brook create one out of a white material? I never got the chance to ask.

I picked second, and I didn't waste my time. I wasn't a bow perfectionist, but it useful to have. I revealed a glossy deep sienna bow with a strong string and a matching quiver. After I got a sheath of arrows, I put them all in the quiver and strapped it onto my shoulder. Brook, seeing as she was next, took out a black colored recurve. She didn't even hesitate. Up close I realized it was matte. Beautiful, sleek and perfect size for Brook. Then I knew that Brook hadn't made that one, because finding that material in the forest was beyond impossible. But it was just right for Brook, explaining all her powerful dark features in her weapon, showing how dangerous she really was.

Next up was Brian, who gruffly took out a normal bow of natural wood. I could tell that he wasn't up for bow looks, but for the robust and sturdy types.

After that, I wrapped the belt weapon holder that Brian gave me around my waist and inserted my knife that I had since before the tornado. Then Brian handed me another variety of large knives, as much as he could fit into my belt, then worked on himself. While Brook and Ariana were doing their job packing, I put on one of the warm clothing we had and followed Brian's instructions to clean up the cave so we didn't leave a trail or a hint that we were here to the NG. I kicked all the empty water bottles out of the cave, patrolled the area in case we left anything, and when I got back to the cave everyone was ready. I thought we were making a very hasty decision, but I had no better idea and the thought of being in that wretched cave for one more day made me want to puke.

Brian handed everyone a bag that didn't fit well in our quivers. In fact it didn't fit at all. Ariana suggested that we throw away the quivers and put the arrows in our bags, opening the zip so that the arrows could peak out. We thought it was brilliant but found it hard to stuff the arrows into the bags along with the clothes. After lots of heaving and tries, we got success and was ready to leave. The cave looked strangely empty, but for once, it looked natural besides the ash burns from the torches that hung on the walls. The ground was filthy but it didn't look as if any trace of humans were there.

"How far is Cliffton?" I asked Brian as he began to scan for the city.

He didn't answer for a while, and I assumed he was checking that out. Then he frowned. "It seems close. It will take a week or so, I think."

A week.

It will pass by eventually, but as usual, the worst part of traveling somewhere else to a place you're dreading is right before you actually move. I felt the same depression and dullness return into my joints, but hope was the only thing that controlled my body. Not my brain and nerves, the hope of finding something useful.

"This may sound strange, but I'm gonna miss this place," Brook confessed, gazing at the cave for the final time.

"I just hope this is the right thing to do," I said, and stared outside at the snowy landscape, wondering is the ground will be too cold and unfamiliar for us to handle all the new possibilities we may face.