the tornado

OVER MR WORKS'S SHOULDER was a sight that made me sway. A mass of clouds writhed and strangled each other furiously, churning madly. Clouds pointed forward onto earth, rumbling loudly. The sky dimmed into a dark faded color and the clouds left no mercy to reveal the dark sky. Rain splayed down onto the city in a sudden, slapping us all. The swirling clouds were a deep monstrous gray and pointed at the with dimension.

A tornado. A forming tornado was happening in front of my eyes, far away, on the other side of town.

Screams emerged from the city, loud and full of shock. I was dimly aware of Mr Works edging away. Thunder bolted over my head, blaring the darkness for seconds then lighting up again. Rain whipped my face, but the shock was hurting my head more than ever. The wind blew me from side to side, knocking me to my knees. I collapsed backwards, my mouth open in fear. The whisking monster was slowly eating the ground, leaving the houses to nothing but shards. I backed away uselessly with my hands, scarcely believing what was happening. I had to get out of here. How? Where?

My family. They were out there somewhere, yelling and heaving to the fighting clouds. The tornado now hit the earth, like an awakened monster, eager to tear the place to shreds. People charged into my direction, faces all pale and frightened by the very sight. They pushed past me again, hurling me around. I ran the opposite direction of them, fighting the swarm of people. I had to find my parents first. "Mother! Father!" I cried, but it was nothing over the wails of the folk surrounding me. Everyone looked so identical so that I found it impossible to know who was who. The tornado was far enough for me to dart home. I tore people away from me, screaming myself. I wasn't even aware, my mouth just felt like it. My whole body felt raw and prickly already. I kept knocking myself into houses, and banging my arms and legs so that they felt like cardboard, but I didn't give up. I searched the crowds determinedly, mindlessly calling for my parents. Somehow I spotted my bedraggled house, still pristine and not attacked my the tornado, which was still heading my way. The house beside me was tearing up, a large strip on the wall being torn away, revealing the inside of the house. Trepidation surged through me, replaced with a new determination and fear asI burst into the house, still screaming. Father bobbed into my view. I flung myself on him and we hugged fiercely for a moment, drinking in all the screams from far away.

Then we quickly broke apart and wordlessly ran out of the house and joined the crowds run. I held his hand so tightly that it was a wonder that it didn't break. We were so hemmed up, frantically looking back every minute to see where the tornado was. It was now within earshot, now more terrifying close up. The roaring air smashed my face and tried to pull us back. I hung on to the father. If I wasn't held on to father, the monster would have already swallowed me up. My father held me from my shoulders, practically knocking the crowd over. It was human against wind.

Lighting and rain splattered us, blinding my eyes. Everything was happening too fast all at once. It was dead cold, and I couldn't even feel my numb body anymore.

It was too dark; the only source of illumination was the sudden blasts of the electricity coming from lightning that blundered in the sky every few moments.

The woman who was madly screeching next to me suddenly disappeared from next to me. I dared look back to see her on the floor, trying to tear the ground. Horrifyingly, she got pulled into the rags of the churning tornado, her voice fading to a little wail. I gasped for a moment and stopped screaming. I tried to pull myself to together in spite of the mighty blow of the wind. After a moment the wind lessened and lessened, because father dragged us further away from it. I dropped to the ground, too tiered to carry on. There was not much of a crowd here. I stayed kneeling for a little, unaware of what was happening.